Datastage DB2 Bulk load vs DB2 load utility

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nishantrk
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage DB2 Bulk load vs DB2 load utility

Post by nishantrk »

We a simple job of dataset to Table Bulk load using DB2 connector bulk load without any other stages . This has around 4 millon records and the load time is around 25 mins . When we run the same through DB2 Load utility its takes only 4 mins ??
So my question here is does Datastage bulk load internally use the same DB2 load utility , if yes whats the difference betweem both ???

The option I have used are

Load mode - Isert
Load method - Named Pipe
NON RECOVERABLE - yes

Is there anything esle that can be done to imporve performace like buffering etc..
nishantrk
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Datastage DB2 Bulk load vs DB2 load utility

Post by nishantrk »

changing File Type option seems to have resolved the issue , after changing it from ASC to DEL the Load completed in nearly 4 mins ..same as DB2 load .
Though am still not clear ,when to use DEL and when to use ASC
MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Datastage DB2 Bulk load vs DB2 load utility

Post by MT »

Hi nishantrk

DataStage uses the regular DB2 Load utility.
I am a littl e surprised about the different durations you saw but DEL (Delimited ASCII) would always be my choice as ASC is only used when you get data in that format.
Of cause differnt options can have a performance impact.
Try to use API load (instead of CLI load) if you do not process XML and LOB data.
Make sure you talk to your DBA about the recovery options.
regards

Michael