Universe Files, SDK Sequences and Q-Pointers

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Universe Files, SDK Sequences and Q-Pointers

Post by nvalia »

Hi All,

Currently on V 7.5 on Windows and planning to migrate to 9.1.2.
We have Server jobs and Server Routines only and plan to use the same post migration!

We have one Datastage Project that houses all the Hash and Universe Files including SDkSequences (but No Jobs) and these are referenced using Q-Pointers from another Datastage project(s) that have the ETL jobs

So when we migrate, if we keep this same setting of separate projects, should this work in the new version and is there anything else that we need to consider?

Or any other recommended approach?

Thanks and appreciate your help,
VN
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

All of that will work just as it does now in the new version.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nvalia »

Thanks Chulett.

Also currently our Target DB is SQL Server 2005 (in v 7.5) and we plan to move the DB to SQL Server 2012 Standard Edition post migration to v9.1.2

So will we need to change the job design (compile will fail?) to use the new Stage in 9.1.2 to connect to SQL Server 2012 as the stage used in existing jobs will not be supported or this should continue to be supported?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What stage are you talking about?

If the stage is still supported in version 9.1 (and most are) then you won't need to re-compile.

If you want to add new stage types then, obviously, you are changing the job design and would need to compile after the change has been wrought.

None of this discussion about connection to SQL Server has anything to do with UniVerse files, SDK sequences and Q pointers. These will continue to work as at present.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
boolseye
Participant

Re: Universe Files, SDK Sequences and Q-Pointers

Post by boolseye »

Although this is pretty old post.. just sharing my recent encounters with Hash files and SDKSequences movement from 75 to 91..

1) Hash files movement- If the OS are Windows to Linux you are not going to face any challenge but if it is AIX to Linux then you need to call fnuxi command to change the byte order of each and every file. Fnuxi is available in ../Server/DSEngine/bin directory. First set dsenv and then fire fnuxi.

2) SDKSequences, I could not list the same SDKSequences hash in 91, so I manually created the SDKSequences and updated the values using some uvsh commands.

I hope this would be helpful to anyone who is migrating to higher versions.
-----------------
Thanks