DSXchange: DataStage and IBM Websphere Data Integration Forum
View next topic
View previous topic
Add To Favorites
olgc
Participant

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Datastage 8.7 is coded in Java so its response to mouse clicks or keys type in is very slow, just as a very old senior, which almost can not move. You can see Not Responding all the time at its title Pane. You need have a great patience to use this very very slow software. Like this is not slow enough, when you place your pointer on a job, its diagram will be pop up and block your view, to make the response to your click even more time consuming. If IBM like this pop up diagram, it should provide a switch at least for user to turn it off.

So please provide a switch in the View tab for developer to turn off the pop up job diagram: it not just saves developer time, but also give a better view of its window.
asorrell
Site Admin

Group memberships:
Premium Members, DSXchange Team, Inner Circle, Server to Parallel Transition Group

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

1) Yes - DataStage client at that release is coded in Java. If your PC is older, with a slower CPU and doesn't have 3 or 4 GB of memory, it isn't going to perform very well. That's why IBM beefed up the minimum requirements for the client. From your description, I think its really your PC that's having a "senior moment". On a faster PC with the right amount of memory it responds quite well.

2) This site is completely independent. It:
- isn't owned by IBM
- doesn't get funded by IBM
- doesn't report to IBM

Suggestions for a product change should be reported directly to IBM via your customer service adviser as an enhancement request.

Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
ray.wurlod

Premium Poster
Participant

Group memberships:
Premium Members, Inner Circle, Australia Usergroup, Server to Parallel Transition Group

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

The right people at IBM do read this forum. They do note what's written, whether or not they choose to do anything about them.

Not yet rated
olgc
Participant

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Yes, my laptop is possibly old and need a new one. But when I try to find what the minimum requirements for the client are and send to ServiceNow, I got no lucky. Can you help list them? But my laptop is not that old: Intel duo core with 2 GB memory. Even every body says hardware is cheap nowadays, but not always the case. My corporation does not think so and reluctant to give us more memory than others.

Second, the job diagram is sent through network from server to your computer. Even you have a very new computer with a lot of memory; it still takes time because it's a big job diagram and it's served no benefit but blocks your view and distracts your concentration. It’s even worse when it’s sent through a VPN network.

Thanks,
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
ray.wurlod

Premium Poster
Participant

Group memberships:
Premium Members, Inner Circle, Australia Usergroup, Server to Parallel Transition Group

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Of course you can be diligent about not hovering over the job name.

Not yet rated

Add To Favorites
View next topic
View previous topic