Transformation Stage Problem with Column Names

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DataStage101
Participant

Transformation Stage Problem with Column Names

Post by DataStage101 »

Hello Everyone

I am new to te Data Stage Designer, and i tried to create a simple Server Job but encountered a Problem.

In that job I loaded a table from a database on an SQL-Server using the ODBC Data Acess then linked it to a Tranformer to then Load the Data into another table in the same Database.

The problem is, when I do some mapping in a Transformation Stage, the columns that have spaces in between their names highlight red. Also, the job doesn't complie and it states that there is a general syntax error. I understand that column definitions in stages only allow alphabetical characters, periods, underscores but no spaces. I know that I could manually change the column names and replace any spaces with underscores.

An Example for a nonfunctioning Derivation is:
DSLink12.Entry No_

Is there any solution to avoid changing the column names(in the table Definiton or in SQLViews)?
Maybe there is some Way to put the column name in brackets
I already tried:
DSLink12.[Entry No_]
DSLink12.(Entry No_)
DSLink12.`Entry No_`
All of the above did not work.

All Help is greatly appreciated
Developer9
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Transformation Stage Problem with Column Names

Post by Developer9 »

Welcome Aboard

As new to the Designer (Datastage) ..I would suggest to follow the help documentation for each stage (here Transformer stage) while working with stages .

While editing the column derivation ,Right click on it then we see a option to insert "Input column"
Ex:DSLink12.Entry No ..we can include (DSLink12.Entry No)

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage does not tolerate spaces in column names. There is no way to avoid changing name at source; DataStage does not recognise quoted identifiers, square brackets or any other convention.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DataStage101
Participant

Post by DataStage101 »

That's pretty clear, thanks. Now i got some renaming to do.

@Developer9 I will try that out. Thanks for the advice