Issue regarding a multi instance job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Hope
Participant

Issue regarding a multi instance job

Post by Hope »

Hi,
I have an multi-instance job. This job runs with invocation ID A and B.
At a time 2 instances of the same job will be running. The issue is , if the job instance A is running and Job with instance B kicks of before instance A completes then the Job with instance B fails. Since its a multi -instance the job with two instances should run rather than failing. If I try to run 1 instance at a time then the job runs fine.

Please help me to find the issue.

Thanks
Hope
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What does the job do? What resources does it use? There's more to making a job multi-instance than simply checking that box, you must account for the fact that it will be running multiple invocations in the design itself. Resources that would be 'shared' across multiple instances would typically have the invocation id value incorporated into their name to avoid conflicts - for example, if you write to a flat file you might end up with filename_A and filename_B after both complete. So...

Some information to allow us to help you: When Job Invocation B fails, what error message(s) does it log? What does the job do? Detail for us the job design.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Hope
Participant

Post by Hope »

We don't see anything in Director. The job start failed
The unix logs show the below

Status code = 0
Job Status : RUNNING (0)
Checking job execution type . . .
Multi Instance Job: N
Examining job status . . .
Performing needed reset action . . .
Job appears to be running, or is not compiled.
dsjob_launch ERROR 50: Job reset step failed, status was not initialized.
DataStage job status: Job Status : RUNNING (0)
Job XXXX not launched.
Job Status : RUNNING (0)

we are using 1 node configuration file. The job is reading data from a table and generating an XML. The job has 15 stages, a few Transformers and few join stages and writes the data to an XML file.
rsomiset
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rsomiset »

For me....it looks like the 2nd invocation_id passed isn't different from the 1st one. Are you seeing 2 different log files generated in the DS Director client when you run this job with one instance at a time?
--
Raj
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Since it shows "Multi Instance Job: N" in the log, I'd guess that the second invocation id isn't being passed and you're actually running the 'base' job. Hard to say for certain since you edited the log before posting it here. :?
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Since the entry shows "Multi Instance Job: N" I'd assert that you do not even have a multi-instance job. Checking the box is not enough - you have to re-compile in order for the change (from not multi-instance to multi-instance) to take effect.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yah... or that. :wink:
-craig