Reading pipe delimited; but some columns missing

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

karumudi7
Participant

Reading pipe delimited; but some columns missing

Post by karumudi7 »

Hi,

I have a pipe delimited file with 3 columns. But for some records at the end there are some missing fields and pipes (delimiter) is also not availble.
How can I read that file without losing any records!
Sample File:

Code: Select all

Name|Email|Country
 ABC|abc@gmail.com|USA
 DEF|
 GHXY||INDIA
Here the problem is with second record, while reading the file I am getting only 2 records. Second one is rejected with error "Email" column not found...

Need to load these 3 records into the table, if data is not available NULL will be loaded for the purticular column.

Thanks!
DataStage 11.3 on AIX 7.1 with DB2.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

This was easier in Server, but there should be a way to do this in parallel jobs. Is this sequential file defined with variable field/record length and with a <cr><lf> or <lf> line terminator?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I experimented a bit and while there is no equivalent to the server "missing columns" mode, you can put in the following filter condition:

awk 'BEGIN {FS = OFS = "|"} {$3 = $3; print}'
This will pad each input line to make exactly 3 pipe delimited fields; then you need to handle the empty strings appropriately in your job.
karumudi7
Participant

Post by karumudi7 »

ArndW wrote:I experimented a bit and while there is no equivalent to the server "missing columns" mode, you can put in the following filter condition:

awk 'BEGIN {FS = OFS = "|"}  ...[/quote]

Unable to read, Premium content.  :(
DataStage 11.3 on AIX 7.1 with DB2.
arunkumarmm
Participant

Post by arunkumarmm »

Never mind about your column delimiter. Read the whole record as one single column and split it up inside the transformer using field.
Arun
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Use a server Sequential File stage in a server Shared Container and make use of its excellent missing columns functionality.

Or, if it's a small to medium sized file, use a server job entirely.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rsomiset
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rsomiset »

Did you try to read the whole record as 1 single column in source stage and then split using Field function in a transformer stage using delimiter(pipe in this case)?
--
Raj