Publishing from Development Glossary

This forum is in support of all issues about Data Quality regarding DataStage and other strategies.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

ray.wurlod
Participant

Publishing from Development Glossary

Post by ray.wurlod »

I have imported a heap of Categories and Terms. The are visible under Drafts. I have taken 14 of these through request for approval and then approval. There are 14 items showing as Approved.

I click Publish. I get the following error:
Some revisions to glossary content have not been approved. Content currently in the draft or pending approval states in the development glossary must be approved before you can publish.
When all new and changed categories and terms are approved, click Publish to update the published glossary with the changes. Publishing changed categories and terms overwrites the existing versions of them in the published glossary.

This seems wrong to me. Publish should only pick up items whose state is Approved, surely?

Why would Business Glossary require that absolutely all new and changed items (drafts) be approved before permitting publication?

Aghast.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Is this what you're running into?

"You must be a glossary Publisher. The content to be published must already be approved, and there can be no draft or pending approval content in the development glossary."

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... blish.html
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yeah, that's what I'm running into. Even though it's how the product works, it doesn't make sense to me. I basically have to delete all the draft items (436 of them) before I can publish the 14 I need now, then re-import the 450 and delete the 14 from that.

It makes more sense to me, in any case, that only Approved items can be published. What's wrong with simply ignoring anything in the Drafts or Pending Approval states? Someone didn't think this through very well.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

That's entirely possible. You're on the bleeding edge... We have BG 8.7 setup but not yet actively attempting to make it work. I guess this is somebody's idea of how publishing should work. I agree; it's not my idea of how it should work in the real world. I can't imagine any technical reason it was implemented that way.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I'm raising a PMR to find out whether there's any workaround.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It actually gets worse.

When I select all 436 draft items and click Discard Drafts, "an unknown error has occurred" pops up. So I can't even delete the ones that are still in draft.

Not happy.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

It's by design, Ray (the "all must be approved before publish" issue)....so we have to deal with it for now...though I agree with your sentiment.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Patch JR41793 applies. It allows what IBM is choosing to call "fine grained workflow publishing", which is described in this tech note.

It will be a little while (bureaucratic hurdles) before I can get this patch installed, but I have high hopes of it.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Excellent. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to apply that also.

I found this related patch description where they've named it Business Glossary 8.7 rollup patch 1.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg1JR41793
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I downloaded and installed Business Glossary Rollup Patch 1 from IBM Fix central - which is a rollup patch across all the products - and the fine grain publishing is now working. I can choose to publish just a selection of approved terms even if there are drafts. It is much better than the original version of workflow.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The readme for the rollup patch indicates that patch JR41793 is included.

The joys of being on the bleeding edge!