nulls in value columns(CDC)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srinivas.nettalam
Participant

nulls in value columns(CDC)

Post by srinivas.nettalam »

Hi,
Would someone let me know how does CDC work in case where both before and after links have nulls in change value column for an existing key value?Will it be an update or copy??
N.Srinivas
India.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I honestly don't know off the top of my head but it seems to me it would be simple enough to setup a small test to see.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I would guess it's a Copy, but please go ahead and try it then post the result.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
kamtammystuff
Participant

Post by kamtammystuff »

I guess it would treat it as a update record if any one of the link has a null value in it , anyways simple testing is the best way to know.. :lol:
kwwilliams
Participant

Post by kwwilliams »

A null value on both the before and after record will be a copy. The stage would be fairly useless if everytime a column had to null values it declared it an update. I've seen this in numerous jobs in the past.
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: nulls in value columns(CDC)

Post by SURA »

In Change Data Capture it will compare (null to null); It won't say both are different. So you can pass the null col as it is!!

I remeber the same in SCD too.

DS User
kamtammystuff
Participant

Post by kamtammystuff »

kamtammystuff wrote:I guess it would treat it as a update record if any one of the link has a null value in it , anyways simple testing is the best way to know.. :lol:
It will treat as a update ecord only if only one has a null value and copy if both are nulls