DAT file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rsunny
Participant

DAT file

Post by rsunny »

Hi,

I am having a requirement where i need to read from DAT file and load into DB. As i never dealt with DAT file , can anyone please guide what is the stage that i need to use to read DAT file as can we use sequential file stage or do we need to use CFF stage only, and if we use Sequential file stage do we need to import the Cobol copy book or is it not necessary

Thanks in advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ask whomever you got this from what is in their ".dat" file. That extension is way too generic and could hold anything.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rsunny
Participant

Post by rsunny »

Hi ,

Actually they are extracting the mainframe data into DAT file and FTPed the DAT file into Datastage Server.

Thanks in advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Still too generic. Have they told you what exactly this "mainframe data" looks like? Given you a copybook / FD? If it is EBCDIC and/or has packed fields, then yes to using the CFF stage and having to import the FD.
-craig

rsunny
Participant

Post by rsunny »

Hi,

Its in ASCII and and i am not sure if has packed fields or not and can you tell me how do we determine whethe it is paacked fields or they are going to tell about this and they had provided cobol copy book
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

They can tell you.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Ask about DIS file as well.
:lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rsunny
Participant

Post by rsunny »

Hi ray,

can you tell me what is DIS file means?

Thanks in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DIS file and DAT file. Say it, rather than read it.

Neither is a particularly meaningful suffix.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Humor fail. :(
-craig

narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

This File and That File :lol:
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
rsunny
Participant

Post by rsunny »

Hi ,

I used a sequential stage and used the DAT file in sequential stage and when i view the data i could able to view the data. So i would like to know the DAT files can be used by both sequential or CFF stage

Thanks in advance
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

'DAT' is just an extension. You can take a text file and replace the '.txt' to '.dat'. It does not matter, a sequential file stage will be able to read it as long as you have the right metadata.
Now what matters is the content, if its not an ascii file or is an ascii file but was generated by mainframe (dataset) then you will need a cff stage to read it properly as the metadata may differ.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

You do not absolutely need to use a cff stage whenever a file is created by a mainframe. Handling OCCURS DEPENDING ON clauses is handy with cff, as are a few other items. A typical sequential file with a fixed number of columns can usually be handled with only a Sequential File stage...did it plenty of times in 7x.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In other words, only you rsunny can determine if you'll be fine processing this particular "dat" file with the sequential file stage. You know what it looks like, how the fields are defined - we don't. If you're not positive you know exactly how each field is defined, get back together with whomever is supplying you this file, work out your doubts.

Once you have that information you can work out how to process the file.
-craig