Absolute path names when moving from DEV to PROD

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

manuel.gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Absolute path names when moving from DEV to PROD

Post by manuel.gomez »

Hi all,

I just realized that I may be facing an important issue with jobs I am currently designing.

We do have a DEV environment, in a Windows platform.
Our PROD environment will be running over a UNIX platform.

I do have a parameter set where I store all my paths, for example:

input --> d:\input
output --> d:\output

Then, in my jobs, when writting to a file, I define file name as following:

#input#\file.dat

I just realized that when I moved all this to production, this will not work, as the character \ is no longer valid to indicate folders.
Now I should define file name as
#input#/file.dat

For values in the parameter is quite easy: just need to redefine values in prod environment, but, all file names will be not valid at all!

Any way to avoid this? Sure you have faced this in the past and already got a solution to this

Thanks a lot!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't recall which way is which and no longer have any ability to test the theory, but I seem to recall DataStage can handle this rather easily. Meaning, one of the two slashes works in both environments and it knows that it needs to "flip it over" for the "other" environment.

Unless someone chimes in here, I'd suggest a quick simple test you can run in both environments. Try each slash and see if/which one works on both sides without you having to change it.

Worst case you can include the trailing slash in your parameter. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Both UNIX and Windows are happy with "/" as the pathname delimiter character - at least those versions of Windows that support DataStage engine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
manuel.gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by manuel.gomez »

ray.wurlod wrote:Both UNIX and Windows are happy with "/" as the pathname delimiter character - at least those versions of Windows that support DataStage engine.
great, thank you!