kicking off multiple instances in one dsjob command

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

kicking off multiple instances in one dsjob command

Post by ag_ram »

I have 2 queries.
- Is it possible to kick off multiple instances of a job with different instance ID in a single dsjob command?

- How can I check all the instances of a job is finished? As and when all the instances finished, I need the return the control to job invoker.

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

1. No.

2. You must check them individually.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

For answer 2:
Can I use ps -ef | grep "jobname" to find out the presence of process in unix server?
If I dont find anything, I will pass the control back to job invoker. This wait and check will continue until I dont find any process with that string. Is this suggestible?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Only if you can guarantee that the job name will appear only in the process(es) involved in running the job. What if, for example, the job design were being monitored or open for editing in Designer? Even so, I regard that approach as a kludge - prefer to create a loop and check the individual jobs/instances.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Thats correct. It is always better to check the status of the instnace in the loop.

Thanks Ray.