Transformer Field Limitation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Transformer Field Limitation

Post by talk2shaanc »

I have a PX job that need to perform transformation on 278 fields in a file.
The transformation is simple to check empty and replace with "NULL".

Code: Select all

Seq -->Trasformer --> DB1 (10 fields)
                           |
                          DB2 (278 fields )
The above job gets compiled and runs perfectly in one server (Dev1); but it does not get COMPILED on another server (Test1).

Now if I change the design to look something like below:

Seq -->Trasformer1 --> DB1 (10 fields)
                        |
                   Transformer 2                         
                        |
                  DB2 (278 fields )
Here in Transformer1 I check EmptyToNull for 120fields and rest 158 fields are straight move
in Transformer2 I check EmptyToNull for 158fields and rest 120 fields are straight move.

With the second design the code gets compiled and it runs on both DEV and TEST server.

Does anyone know what could be the reason?
Shantanu Choudhary
betterthanever
Participant

Re: Transformer Field Limitation

Post by betterthanever »

can you post the error you got when compiling in the test environment???
talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by talk2shaanc »

There are some warning with the usage of DecimalToString function. I dont see this as an issue as it would be there even for second design.

The only message that could be an indicator is

##E TBLD 000000 15:56:29(000) <main_program> Error when checking composite operator: Subprocess command failed with exit status 256.
##E TFSR 000019 15:56:29(001) <main_program> Could not check all operators because of previous error(s)
Shantanu Choudhary
uegodawa
Participant

Post by uegodawa »

Empty and Null have different meaning. Most of the cases you need to handle NULL values properly, otherwise it will create so many problems even at run time. You can use NullToValue() function to handle nulls. If your source data type is Numeric you cannot assign non numeric values for those fileds when using NulllToValue() function.
Thanks,
Upul
talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by talk2shaanc »

uegodawa wrote:Empty and Null have different meaning. Most of the cases you need to handle NULL values properly, otherwise it will create so many problems even at run time. You can use NullToValue() function to handle nulls. If your source data type is Numeric you cannot assign non numeric values for those fileds when using NulllToValue() function.
Hello Upul, your answer is out of context....requirement is to have it NULL on the database...thanks anyways
Shantanu Choudhary
girija
Participant

Post by girija »

Hi,
Could you please add a reject link to your transformer1 and try to compile. I read it in a forum ( don't know the proper reason), it resolved their issue of compilation. Just try it and let us know.