IBM Is going to discontinue DataStage server Edition?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JITeam
Premium Member
Premium Member

IBM Is going to discontinue DataStage server Edition?

Post by JITeam »

I heard that at some point of time in near future, i.e after 11.7 release IBM is having plans to discontinue DataStage server Edition by moving all its Server capabilities to Parallel edition.

Does any one have information about it. As far as I know IBM has not announced it , but I may be wrong.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Sounds like complete nonsense, like some kind of old urban legend that occasionally resurfaces. Did you hear this rumor from someone at IBM??? It sounds like too much of a technical and expensive undertaking and could inflict a lot of customer pain. Unless the DataStage product manager confirms this, I would not believe it myself.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's a huge difference between getting rid of everything Server and no longer selling it as a separate license, which is what (I assume) the "moving all capabilities" comment means. But bottom line though I agree, it's not something that will ever be going away in spite of this rumor that pops up every now and then. Usually used as a tool to enforce a "only parallel jobs" mantra. :roll:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

I heard the mainframe is going away too...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And I've heard that some admin teams are lead by a highly charismatic individual who simply relies on his good looks alone to get by. :wink:
-craig

PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

I'm surprised Oracle didn't catch on to that joke. ;)
boxtoby
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by boxtoby »

I know of one site which has a single node parallel licence. So perhaps IBM, with saying anything publically, are trying to sell only parallel licences to new clients even if it's a single node.

I agree though, I don't believe that the server edition is going away especially as sequences are server jobs!

Cheers,
Bob.
Bob Oxtoby
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

I just checked my calendar to make sure its not April 1st.
PS
There is a higher chance IBM may stop future development of AIX OS and provide customers with a path for transitioning to Linux on Power Arch. .
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

IBM has not announced it for a very good reason: the server engine is not going away any time soon. Just one reason (among many) is that sequences run on the server engine. And there is a huge installed base with millions of server jobs out there.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

DataStage releases usually have six years of support. Information Server 9 released in 2012 ends support in the middle of this year. Information Server 11.7 which includes DataStage Server Edition should have active support through to 2024. So even if IBM discontinues Server Edition (and I haven't heard that this is happening) you still have at least six years before Server Edition is no longer supported.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Fake news, folks. :wink:
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Anything beginning "I heard" without attribution is fake news. Anything tweeted by POTUS is probably also fake news.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Agreed. When I was younger, the correct term was "gossip." I suppose the terminology has been modernized...
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius