reading and writing to the same table

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

datastagedw
Participant

reading and writing to the same table

Post by datastagedw »

hello all,

I have a requirement where in I have to use a oracle table for change capture before link and after that doing some transformation and ultimately loading to the same oracle table. Does it cause any performance issue , using the same table to read and write. I read one article in dsxchange telling about environment variable APT_DISABLE_COMBINED_OPERATOR to true. Sorry I am not able to remember the variable name. Actually my requirement is to check the source with a change capture stage with a history table based on some key columns, and if the record is not there then insert it to the history table else reject it into a reject file. please help me out as I am dealing with millionsof records.

any help appreciated.

thanks
ETL DEVELOPER
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Change your requirement (at least that part of it that prescribes updating the same table from which you are reading). You risk causing a self-deadlock situation.

Use two jobs, staging the data in a Data Set.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
datastagedw
Participant

Post by datastagedw »

hello,

thank you. even i have the same thought, however i tried with few million of records(around 5 million), its not giving any problem even i also beleive staging it to a dataset would be better. well thanks and I would mark this topic as resolved. :D
ETL DEVELOPER
Zyaire
Participant

Suggestion

Post by Zyaire »

The main heading here that can be explained by all those who need to lean is something about Is education really the "backbone" of a "nation"? You can explain us something more about professional personal statement writing services as it was the only source for us. Just let us explain it now.