Quality Stage v8 versus v7.5

This forum is in support of all issues about Data Quality regarding DataStage and other strategies.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

mchaves
Participant

Quality Stage v8 versus v7.5

Post by mchaves »

Hi there,

I'd like to check with you guys if it's worth taking a course on QS V8 when my company has V7.5. Are they complete different products? or V8 is pretty similar to V7.5?

Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks
Melquior
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

QS 8.0.1 is so different from QS 7.5. First thing is that you must know how to code the parallel job. I even heard some of IBM technical support are having difficult time to figure out parallel job's problems or to use certain parallel stages since they haven't dealt with parallel jobs at all before the version 8.0.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Take the 7.5 class. There are a whole heap of stages that you need in 7.5 that simply do not exist in 8.0 (because of the closer interaction with DataStage), and there is as yet no certification for version 8.0.

IBM has a QualityStage 7.5 class (DX731AU) scheduled in Canberra 03-07 December - contact IBM Learning Services to inquire about attending. They will also be able to advise whether they are scheduling any 7.5 classes in 2008 (I believe they are, but they'll know for sure).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

I assumed that you alreday knew QS 7.5. But wanted to know whether is it worth to take QS 8.0 class.
stuartjvnorton
Participant

Post by stuartjvnorton »

If you have done much work with DS 7.5, then you could probably get by without the QS V8 course as far as everyday usage goes. V8 is now more like DS but with a few new kinds of operation that let you do the stan, match, parse, etc.

That's of course if you know QS 7.5 and want to move to 8.

If you know neither and have to use QS 7.5, do the 7.5 course. The stan, match bits are fairly similar to QS 8, but the hoops to jump through to get the data in and out of it are very different.
Last edited by stuartjvnorton on Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

The best improvement of QS version 8.0.1 is that finally CASS job can be run in "real" parallel mode.