Fatal Error: sortRec

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Havoc
Participant

Fatal Error: sortRec

Post by Havoc »

I have a job which aborts immediately and the error shown in the log is:

main_program: Fatal Error: The input interface does not contain component "sortRec".

Any idea why this could be happening ?

Thanks in advance :)
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Do you expect a column called "sortRec" in your input stream? What stages do you have? Have you tried to disable combination to see if you get a stage name that is causing the error?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please describe your job fully, including the stage types used and how they are connected. Post the generated OSH if you think that will help.

There should be an event in the log indicating which Orchestrate modules were loaded. Does orchsort appear in that list?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
AccentureTA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Fatal Error: sortRec

Post by AccentureTA »

I am also facin this issue.
Please suggest your valuable comment on this.
AccentureTA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Fatal Error: sortRec

Post by AccentureTA »

I am also facin this issue.
Please suggest your valuable comment on this.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Answer the questions that Havoc deigned not to.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
keshav0307
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by keshav0307 »

i was having this problem, then raised issue with IBM and got a Patch for this..
AccentureTA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Patch details?

Post by AccentureTA »

Hi Keshav,

Do you have the patch details? Specific version#s?

Thanks
shankar_ramanath
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Patch details?

Post by shankar_ramanath »

I realize that this post is somewhat dated. I faced a similar issue in the recent past.

The job schematic (pertaining to the issue) is as below

Code: Select all

Modify Stage  --------        
                                       Join Stage ------- Output
Aggregator Stage --------
The job used "Same" partitioning on both input links for the JOIN stage. In the aggregator stage that feeds to the JOIN stage, the colums were sorted as "case-insensitive" whereas the columns emanating from the Modify stage had the sorting based on case-sensitive option (default).

The job compiled fine at design time, but at run-time, the dreaded error message "The input interface does not contain component "sortRec"" was emitted.

IBM Engineering support was quite helpful in resolving this issue and came back with the following comment:

Although there's not a DataStage defect here, we're aware that the error message that's emitted, 'Fatal Error: The input interface does not contain component "sortRec"', is not very useful in identifying the cause of the failure. While it's not feasible to detect every erroneous job specification, instances such as the one in <stage_name> could be caught at design time; this is something we hope to address in a future release.

I think, when faced with this error, essentially it boils down to being meticulous about looking into each of the stages and hunting down the root cause of the issue. In my case, it was the "case", but could be different for others.
mmaneesh
Participant

Post by mmaneesh »

HI ,
I have faced this error when a merge stage was used , similar kind of stages could give this error , the key field in the merge stage was not sorted properly.
Usage of a sort stage before join or merge stages could resolve this :)
Regards,
Maneesh
dbalzer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dbalzer »

HI ,
I got this error message at DataStage 11.5 latest patch, it still exist. The reason was a wrong fieldname as sort column in a sort stage. It should be possible to find such a bug at compile time.
meriem laradi
Participant

Post by meriem laradi »

In my job i disabled the perform sort in hash partitionning on the join stage
mimi