New to WTX

Formally known as "Mercator Inside Integrator 6.7", DataStage TX enables high-volume, complex transactions without the need for additional coding.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

Rajesh_kr82
Participant

New to WTX

Post by Rajesh_kr82 »

Well i am brand new to WTX. however i have plenty of experience with the PX ( enterprise edition) version. So want to look whats new in WTX and what all components i need to install on windows machine to evaluate the product. Will be great if some of you guys can help me out in a quick set up and get me going.
Regards,
Rajesh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Take a class. TX is totally different.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Rajesh_kr82
Participant

Post by Rajesh_kr82 »

Concept wise they look both the same. WTX is more complex. Go a class tomorrow...let see what they teach me :))
Regards,
Rajesh
jvmerc
Participant

Post by jvmerc »

Rajesh_kr82 wrote:... WTX is more complex. ... :))
Interesting observation. While an Ascential product I was going to local user group meetings (Well they were DataStage user meetings that tried to attract TX developers too.) I never learned DataStage but seeing the demos and watching what various DataStage customers were doing it appeared to be more complex but similar. Probably what you're more used to.
Rajesh_kr82
Participant

Post by Rajesh_kr82 »

Yea probably you are right. Datastage EE is basically more of a dataware housing tool, and WTX is more about real time. So you cant move zillions of rows per second by WTX. EE looks still simple because there you dont have so many designers and wat not. Only one designer and a director. ere so many parts make like a bit difficult.
Regards,
Rajesh
syam.neelam
Participant

What are the diff betweenDataStage TX and EE&ServerEditi

Post by syam.neelam »

What are the main difference between DataStage TX and DataStage Server Edition & DataStage Enterprise Edition..
Syam Sundar Reddy
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The main difference is that they are completely different products.
Ill-advised marketing lumped them together under the same name.

DataStage server edition began life as DataStage, a UniVerse-based application, vendors VMark, Ardent, Informix, Ascential, IBM.

DataStage enterprise edition began life as Orchestrate, a parallel-execution environment, vendor Torrent Systems, acquired by Ascential.

WebSphere Transformation Extender (formerly DataStage TX) began life as Mercator, vendor Mercator (?), acquired by Ascential.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
syam.neelam
Participant

How the DS TX looks like

Post by syam.neelam »

Is DataStage WTX looks like Enterprise Edition.

We do in WTX is the same as in Enterprise Edition (creation of jobs in Designer, maintains repository in Manager, Run the jobs in Director and user permission in Administrator)

What are the features in WTX tool than Server&Parallel Editions.
Syam Sundar Reddy
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

QualityStage also looks like DataStage. A zebra also looks like a horse. They are not the same.
rvinakota
Participant

Re: How the DS TX looks like

Post by rvinakota »

WTX is entirely different than Websphere Datastage. WTX is going to use complex data transformation. Datastage is ETL.

In WTX you can develop the map in Map Designer and Deployment in Integration flow designer. There is no repository. It is not a client server based tool. It is a standalone. There are so many features in WTX. Can I know what features you are specifically looking for?
syam.neelam
Participant

Re: How the DS TX looks like

Post by syam.neelam »

rvinakota wrote:WTX is entirely different than Websphere Datastage. WTX is going to use complex data transformation. Datastage is ETL.

In WTX you can develop the map in Map Designer and Deployment in Integration flow designer. There is no repository. It is not a client server based tool. It is a standalone. There are so many features in WTX. Can I know what features you are specifically looking for?
Thanks Vinakota. Sorry for the late response.

I am not so aware in DataStage.
So, please let me know all the features available in WTX against PX / ServerJobs.

Thanks in advance
janhess
Participant

Post by janhess »