Data File Compression stage

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Data File Compression stage

Post by VCInDSX »

Hi,
In our existing applications we generate different flavors of files (Text, XML) and compress them to Zip, GZ et al and then upload these to FTP sites.
Current workaround is to execute the compression scripts (ExecuteSH et al) and then come back to Datastage and continue the job.
If we need to interrogate the failures or status of this external operation that happened outside datastage's control, extra effort is required.
Would be great to have this as a stage and be able to integrate within the workflow....

Same is true if we have to uncompress a downloaded file and extract it to work with its contents....

Just a wish...

Thanks,
-V
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You have these in parallel jobs (Compress and Expand stages). You have this indirectly in job sequences, via the Execute Command activity. I don't believe this request will get very far.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by VCInDSX »

ray.wurlod wrote:You have these in parallel jobs (Compress and Expand stages). You have this indirectly in job sequences, via the Execute Command activity. I don't believe this request will get very far.
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the quick followup. Appreciate it much.
I didn't realize that the Compress and Expand stages could be used for compressing text/xml files. I will try this route, in a parallel job.
What would the column and format definitions be for compressed file, Ray?

In my server job, I am using ExecuteCommand for compressing a file, in an AfterJob routine. Trying to plug the error handling part for that now.

Thanks again,
-V