up the 99 project limit... and more

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

KYX
Participant

up the 99 project limit... and more

Post by KYX »

I wish this 99 projects limit was upped!
Have an option for dsadm to keep users from connecting to projects for maintenance periods...
Makig it impossible to "edit/create/delete" jobs in specificaly identified projects (Production) and HAVE to promote jobs to PR projects by version control.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What version are you running?

Current versions are licensed by CPU, and there's no such limit on the number of projects.

Earlier versions were licensed by the number of projects, so you'd have to buy more licenses to go past 99.

Indeed, I've been working with DataStage since before version 1.0, and am not aware of any 99 project limit in the product.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
KYX
Participant

Post by KYX »

We are on 7.51A.

Licensing is server based.

Have you ever reached 99 projects?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No. :?

Can't imagine ever needing anywhere near that many projects. Besides, I think the 'Project limit' in the Auth Codes (which I don't have access to right now) is actually 999 not 99.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Thats the User Limit Craig.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
KYX
Participant

Post by KYX »

Wew are at 32 concurent users!

And yes, we need that many projects (99) in our dev environment!
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

What error are you getting when you try to create the 100th project?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

DSguru2B wrote:Thats the User Limit Craig.
Well, that may also be the User Limit for some... here it is 22. I'm referring to the old Ascential paper Authorizations that one used to get. Not in the office so can't back up what I'm saying right now.

Still don't think there's a limit, per se. :?
-craig

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I checked the DS_LICENSE table. Nothing in there as well other than the LIMIT you are mentioning.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

KYX wrote:And yes, we need that many projects (99) in our dev environment!
I be surprised if 'need' is the right word. You may very well have chosen to use that many projects, but 'need'? I'd be really, really (really) curious how you are using your projects that results in the need for so many of them. Seriously.
-craig

KYX
Participant

Post by KYX »

Not there yet (at the 99 limit) trying to avoid it too!

Got the info off of a senior DS guy here.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Well one of our very senior guys doubts there is a limit. Get in touch with support and see what they have to say.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Run DS.TOOLS and choose report on the licenses. Are you truly showing a 99 limit? Ancient history is that you bought projects, but that went unlimited somewhere around DS 5.0, or maybe was maxed at 999. Current authorizations would have eliminated that, unless you're using a limited license embedded DataStage Server edition as part of some thirdparty package.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
KYX
Participant

Post by KYX »

OK, I'll look into DS.TOOLS, it would be great if it was not the case.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

99 may well be a limit for concurrently connected client users. It is NOT a limit on the number of projects you may create, which is unlimited (disk space permitting) in version 7.5.1A

Look carefully at the Licensing tab in the Administrator client. There are two frames. The one on the left is for the server - it has a CPU Count as its limiting factor. The one on the right is for the Client License - it has a serial number ending in "-DSDES" and has a user limit. This is for the maximum number of concurrently connected clients. Each client connection may use every project. Do you have more than 99 developers? If so, buy more client licences.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.