receiving notification when a job fails

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rmcclure
Participant

receiving notification when a job fails

Post by rmcclure »

I have a project that runs a sequence job (SQ1) on a nightly basis. The SQ1 job does various tasks like check connection, runs staging jobs, facts, dimensions etc. The staging job (SJ1) is a server job that executes a text file containing various sequence and server jobs.
I would like to run the scheduled sequence job (SQ1) and be notified by email when there is an error in one of the jobs being run. The problem is that if I but a notification activity on the SQ1 job with a trigger of failed I get no email when one of the lower jobs fails because the staus of the SJ1 staging job is not aborted, the staus is "Finished (see log)". The jobs in the text file being run in by SJ1 are not dependant so I would like the rest of the jobs to run even if one of them fails, but I would like to receive a notification from the failing job. There are many, many jobs and I don't want to add notification to each and everyone. Is there a way to have a setting at more of a global level to inform me of any failing jobs?
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Welcome Aboard! :D

Have the "Notification_Activity" attached to SQ1 removed.
In the main job sequence, add an independent section, with an "Exception Handler" stage followed by a "Notification_Activity".

Make sure you have the "Automatically handle activities that fail" checked in the "Job Properties" of the job sequence.

HTH,
Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Get the jobs out of the text file and into a job sequence where you can directly connect triggers to Notification and other activities.

Otherwise put a lot more work into your text file (shell script) to detect the exit status of jobs and log/notify those results.

Or create a job or routine to scan the statuses of those jobs so as to report/log/notify their results.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Nothing parallel about this question.

(does Roy even care where we say to move them? I would guess he just uses his own good judgement )
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

chulett wrote: (does Roy even care where we say to move them? I would guess he just uses his own good judgement)
I need a magnifying glass to read that.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Change your screen resolution or get your eyes checked. It's OK for me (at 1024 x 768), and I'm (probably) older than thee.

Observation: The OP marked the job type as parallel.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I have the same screen resolution, and my eyes are 6/6. It was just an innocent comment :roll:
I can read it but its, small.
Last edited by DSguru2B on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I observed that as well and didn't feel it was relevant. Is not the General forum where (amongst other things) Sequence job questions are 'supposed' to go? Maybe we need a 'Sequence' job type choice...

Roy, feel free to snip all the chit chat when you move this - where ever it ends up. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers