abt sql overriding

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijaykumar
Participant

abt sql overriding

Post by vijaykumar »

hi,

one of my mate always compares datastage with informatica.
he says that he can override the sql statements at session level and at mapping level.
i said that u can specify a sql statement in the where tab and if u want one can overide the specified sql statement using a jobparameter.
he asked whether u can use jobparameters in source stage and in transformation stage.
i said yaa we can browse for jobparameter in source stage and in transformation stage.
we can even browse for jobparameters in sequencer.
i want to know is there any option to override the sql statement in jobsequnce, how can we do it.
plz correct if i went wrong.
cheers;
vijay
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Is it really so hard to add 'ou' when you mean to spell 'about'? :?

And I don't see the point of chest thumping over ETL tools. Use one or the other, learn it well and unless you need to support both - who cares how the other one does it? Might as well get one of those 'My ETL Tool can beat up your ETL Tool' bumper stickers if you are gonna do that.

Since there aren't any "sql statements" in Sequence jobs, I'm not really sure what you are asking. Define "override" in this context, that would probably help you get meaningful responses.

As you know, you can provide job parameters for the portions of any sql that may need to change run to run or in different environments. That can include small parts like schema owner, or complete chunks of where clauses. You can also load your entire sql from a 'sql file' in most if not all DB stages. These can all be considered 'overrides' I would guess.

You can use job parameters in source, target, derivations - wherever it makes sense to do so.

Not sure if any of that helps...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Hehe. This is an interesting conversation (sense the sarcasm). Do a search in google on Informatica vs DataStage. You will find some helpful points. Such conversations lead no where. Try to avoid them.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You don't need to browse for job parameters in a DataStage job sequence - they're all populated into a list, and you can choose them from that. The list also includes all activity and user variables from all upstream activities, so everything you might need is all in one place. No need to search.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.