Rename the txt file

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Poonam Singh
Participant

Rename the txt file

Post by Poonam Singh »

Hi,

I am trying to rename the ppff1206.txt to ppff1206.txt.bak and I wrote following code.

Call DSExecute ("NT", mv "/ss/ppff":FileNameSuffix:".txt" to "/dd/ppff":FileNameSuffix:".txt.bak" )

when I compile it it gives following error

Compiling: Source = 'RT_BP1572/JOB.942475120.DT.1422056425', Object = 'RT_BP1572.O/JOB.942475120.DT.1422056425'
*****************************************************************************************************************
WARNING: Variable 'mv' never assigned a value.
WARNING: Variable 'to' never assigned a value.

Compilation Complete.
(Batch::CopyOfMain_Paycode_Extraction)

Can somebody suggest me what is the right command to do that.

thanks
ArndW
Participant

Re: Rename the txt file

Post by ArndW »

I am not sure of thet syntax of youe "mv" command, as it is not standard DOS. Try this:

Code: Select all

Call DSExecute ("NT", "move /ss/ppff":FileNameSuffix:".txt   "/dd/ppff":FileNameSuffix:".txt.bak" )
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You've tried to use mv as a variable name. The command must be a single string - you must pass it as such.

Then, as Arnd noted, mv is not a Windows command; it is a UNIX command. Even if you're relying upon MKS Toolkit or some other UNIX emulator on Windows, you should use "SH" as the shell argument rather than "NT". "NT" is asking for the command to be executed in a DOS shell.

However, you have indicated that your server is a UNIX machine, so mv is the correct command, once the syntax is corrected. The Shell argument to DSExecute() must be "SH", not "NT".

Call DSExecute("SH", "mv /ss/ppff" : FileNameSuffix : ".txt /dd/ppff" : FileNameSuffix : ".txt.bak", Output, ExitStatus)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What struck me was "NT" as the shell, but the "MV" command in the original also had a keyword "TO"... quite odd. But posted in the UNIX bracket and using UNIX style paths, so most likely it is a UNIX command.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

To make things clearer and readable i would translate Ray's code as such:

cmd = "mv /ss/ppff" : FileNameSuffix : ".txt /dd/ppff" : FileNameSuffix : ".txt.bak"
Call DSExecute("SH", cmd , Output, ExitStatus)
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why all the concentration on getting a Windows command? The post is marked as UNIX and the command is a UNIX command, so more than likely the 'NT' is the problem... in addition to what you posted regarding the syntax. So, how about:

cmd = "mv /ss/ppff" : FileNameSuffix : ".txt /dd/ppff" : FileNameSuffix : ".txt.bak" 
Call DSExecute("UNIX", cmd , Output, ExitStatus)
The OP now has several choices. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The "to" in the original command was also problematic.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.