Telnet Service not starting

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sutariya
Participant

Telnet Service not starting

Post by sutariya »

Dear all,
I am restarting all the DS services, I found that out of 3 services ,2 are restarted BUT Datastage Telnet Services is not. I try to find help (thread) on this forum.
I did repair by reinstalling CD again. When DS server(CD) ask for srarting services I am doing OK but still it is not ( goes to ...not responding )
please help me without this I cant go forward.
Sutariya
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

What else (another telnet service?) do you have executing on port #23?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sutariya
Participant

Post by sutariya »

I dont know much about port # 23 . It might be default setting. How can i set that if it is required ?
Sutariya
sutariya
Participant

Post by sutariya »

If anybody know can you help to restart telnet services ? how to set OR reset port # 23. help me to restart this service..any more hints.. ?
Sutariya
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

How many services can you find with "telnet" or something close as part of the name?

If there's more than one, you probably have a clash on port #23 (the default telnet listening port).

Find a Windows Administrator and add arguments to the properties of the service:

Code: Select all

-d9 > C:\Temp\tl_dsservice.log 2>&1
Try restarting the service then inspect the log. Remove the arguments from the startup script.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sutariya
Participant

Post by sutariya »

Hi,
Ray thanks,
Now I found that on port #23, no service is running. And in list of running services there is no service like %telnet% so please tell me waht should I do ? I am stuck right now :cry: How to set dstelnet on port # 23 ?

Thanks in advance
Sutariya
sutariya
Participant

Post by sutariya »

Hi,

Now Datastage is running eventhough tl_dsservice.exe is STOP, But now dsapi_server.exe is running when I am starting DS. Can anybody suggest what is this ?
Sutariya
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

dsrpcd listens on port #31538 for requests to use the dscs service. If you look in dsrpcservices file, you will find that dsapi_server is the executable for the dscs service. That one is running indicates that there is a connected client.

Have you tried starting the DataStage telnet service in debug mode as I suggested?

Have you involved your support provider? If so, what did they suggest?
sutariya
Participant

Post by sutariya »

Hi,
I want to run dstelnet service on port # 23 ,can anybody please suggest how to do that ?
I have stoped other %telnet service which was running on port # 23. Now I want dstelnet to be run on this port. please suggest.

Thanks
Sutariya
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Re-boot Windows so that you can be certain that port #23 is cleared. Then start the DS telnet service from Control Panel if it doesn't auto-start on re-boot.