number of running instances of DataStage Version Control

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nPower
Charter Member
Charter Member

number of running instances of DataStage Version Control

Post by nPower »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone experienced this situation before...

Version Control does not support multiple instances of itself running in parallel. So I created a copy of the versioncontrol.exe called secondversioncontrol.exe.

I am now able to run two instances of VC sharing different repositories from the same client. Since VC wasn't designed to do this in the first place, does anyone know if it is safe to go down that route?

Many thanks

Antoine
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: number of running instances of DataStage Version Control

Post by chulett »

nPower wrote:I am now able to run two instances of VC sharing different repositories from the same client. Since VC wasn't designed to do this in the first place, does anyone know if it is safe to go down that route?
Why do you think you need to do this? I have four different 'Version Control repositories' and service them all out of one copy of VC. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
nPower
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: number of running instances of DataStage Version Control

Post by nPower »

Yes, the way you've done it is one of the option. If I understand properly. you share multiple repositories from one instance of VC? But you have to log out and log in everytime which can take up to 15 min in our case :-(

My idea was to to be able to check in code into two repositories simultaneously without loging out and in again.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

15 minutes? :shock: What is your setup? I'm guessing you are not local to the DataStage server that hosts these projects, eh?

Suggest you look into a Citrix based solution, it won't matter where you actually are and cut your VC times down to seconds.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Plan to phase out Version Control. It does not exist in Version 8.0, and will not be incorporated in future releases. Instead some means of integrating with "regular" SCCS tools, like ClearCase, will be implemented, possibly in version 8.2.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nPower
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by nPower »

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, the repositories are located on mainframe and unfortunately, all the data has to travel through a very slow network :?

Thanks for the advice, Version Control is really basic and non-optimal so I'm going to investigate other alternative such as ClearCase.

So does anyone think it's possible to create two versions of VC exe's?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ray.wurlod wrote:Plan to phase out Version Control.
That's lovely. So, are you saying that once someone upgrades there will be no way to promote jobs in any kind of similar fashion to VC - read only, compile for me, dependant components, etc? And integration with 'regular' SCCS tools won't be until months later?

Be curious what in the heck people are supposed to do in the interim. And how integration with something like Clear Case will get you promotions of code to other projects. :?
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

nPower wrote:So does anyone think it's possible to create two versions of VC exe's?
You've already done it and are using it successfully, from what you've said. I don't see a problem with that approach as long as you connect to two different repositories when both are active at the same time. Not saying that would be a problem, per se, just something I would try to avoid so as to not create any unnecessary problems.

I'd also push back on the 'really basic and non-optimal' statement, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. It *is* a very fat client in a sense, so you need to take that into account when deploying it for 'optimal' enjoyment - especially with a 'very slow network'. :wink:
-craig

nPower
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by nPower »

Thanks for your advice.

After a long discussion, we went for the option of having two separate machines with each of them having VC open logged to two different repositories. (This has the advantage of being able to do simultaneous check in and promotions :) )