Same job run parallel (along with multiinstance)

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

linit
Participant

Same job run parallel (along with multiinstance)

Post by linit »

I have a server job which accepts date variable as a parameter. Now I get a set of dates (which is dynamic and varies, but max of 36 dates) which will be passed to this job as a parameter.

Now I have to run the same job simulteneously/parallel for the given set of dates. How can we achieve this in Server edition.

E.g.

If I get the set of 3 dates as
01/JAN/06
01/FEB/06
01/MAR/06
Then I have to run the same job 3 times in parallel with mentioned date as parameter

And if If I get the set of 4 dates as
01/JAN/06
01/FEB/06
01/MAR/06
01/MAY/06
Then I have to run the same job 4 times in parallel with mentioned date as parameter

Thanks in advance..
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

what kind of problem will running them sequentially pose?

Anyways, to run them parallely.

Goto job properties and click on "allow multiple instance". compile and run the job. You will see a new drop down called invocation ID. this is where you will have to give different dates for different parralel runs of the same job.

to automate this you will have to use a sequencer, where you can specify a parameter for the value of invocation IDs
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Does your machine have one CPU or two? Have you measured resource consumption on one instance of this job? Will the machine handle 36 times this demand? Your requirement to "run" the jobs may end up being "walk", "crawl" or even "refuse to go".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
velagapudi_k
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by velagapudi_k »

Hi rohit,
Goto job properties and click on "allow multiple instance". compile and run the job. You will see a new drop down called invocation ID. this is where you will have to give different dates for different parralel runs of the same job.

to automate this you will have to use a sequencer, where you can specify a parameter for the value of invocation IDs
But how to run the same job paralelly.Even though you run the same job with different invocation IDs, the job will be running sequentially right, for example in linit's case it will run different dates only one after other but for not all the dates at the same time right. How can we run the same job parallelly for different dates?
Venkat Velagapudi
linit
Participant

Post by linit »

Thanks for the replies, but with the steps mentioned by Krazykoolrohit, I will achieve to run the same job multiple times with different argument values. But along with this I need to run them in parallel for all given set of dates.

So how can we achieve running the same job simulteneously for given count of dates

Regarding the CPU, We have 16 CPU server and I hope that is not a problem.
And regarding the data amount, usually we get the data of around 80 million records split across 24 months i.e. 3.4 million for each month

Your immediate response would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Try running 10 instances first and see how they behave. As Ray noted, some jobs might refuse to start as no resources might be present. Also you need to take into accord other activities happening on your server.
Use the sequence job to run your jobs in parallel.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
linit
Participant

Post by linit »

I was trying use Startloop..Endloop activity in which I am calling a sequence which run the above job. However, I am not able to run parallel, they run in sequence.

Is there any way to run parallel using the Start..End loop activity...

Thanks in advance
Linit.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please think about what you've just asked. You should be able to answer your own question. A Job activity waits until its job finishes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.