Job Server dosent started

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Welcome aboard, Rai.

The full text of your error is something like this, I assume:

Code: Select all

Controller problem: Error calling DSRunJob(JOB NAME), code=-14 
[Timed out while waiting for an event] 
If you search the site for either the error number or the phrase in square brackets, you'll find many discussions on this very subject here.

Long story short, your server is overloaded. Read through your search results for more details.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

Is it the jobs that stop, or the DataStage services? ("DS stop with a strange error" does not let us know which of these things is happening.) Can you please post the full message from that error? Double click on the event in the job log to view the full message.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Job Server dosent started

Post by chulett »

RAI ROUSES wrote:The Job is executed by the Job sequencer, is indicated in log that the Job was initiated, but after same minutes show an error message indicating that the Job was not initiated in 60 seconds.
This is the assertation that my comments are based on. (emphasis mine)
-craig

RAI ROUSES
Participant

Post by RAI ROUSES »

Hi ray
the job stop and all ohter jobs still running.

The error message is : Job control fatal error (-14)

After that i compiled the job and run it again, but this time with sucess. And i don't have any more problem with other jobs.

Today i have the same error in a different job, i compile and run it, with sucess.

This error dosent ocurred in a specific job.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Like said above you get this error due to overloading of the server.
If you do a search, on the site you will that you are not alone, many have come across such a situtation.
You might not get this error again for this job, if you re-run it.
If this error occurs more frequently, you might want to think of upgrading your server
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
RAI ROUSES
Participant

Post by RAI ROUSES »

Hi Narasimha,
Thanks for your answer. You said that this problem occurred because an overload, too many process running at the same time? In this case there are few jobs running. Or you said few resources of the machine server?

How can i demonstrate that the server does not have the enough resources, to execute all the DS processes?

tks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You (or the UNIX Administrator) need to monitor the operating system, with particular emphasis on CPU (%Idle), memory (PF/S) and disk space. You have to do this at short intervals when the problem is occurring, but you also need baseline averages collected over longer periods of time with which to compare the "bad time" figures.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Interesting... I guess I should just go back and delete my posts.
-craig

roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I'm having the same issue when my server is overwhelmed by too many processes, only difference I'm on a windows installation at the moment.
Please check your maximum processes configuration and see if you reached it when getting that message.

IHTH (I Hope This Helps),
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org