Datastage will not start for certain values of PS1

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ultramundane
Participant

Datastage will not start for certain values of PS1

Post by Ultramundane »

Datastage will not start with certain values of PS1. Such as a convenient PS1 that has the
<logname>@<host>:<directory>:/<command history> \n $

as the prompt. It will stop but will not start. Seems that datastage somehow cares about the prompt value for PS1.

uv -admin -start
does not output any information in this scenario.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That is mega-weird!!! I trust you've reported it as a likely bug. I am not aware of any use the DataStage startup makes of the PS1 environment variable (nor can I conceive of any!).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I have seen the @ symbol mess up other commands. I think it is the shell. What is your hardware and OS release number?
Mamu Kim
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

Shell: KSH
Hardware: P5-570.

It seems to be the line feed for PS1 that causes the problems. If I remove the line feed it works. I have done this for over 5 years now and this is only product I have seen not work. That does not mean the issue here is datastage though. It very well could be a shell command, POSIX command, or AIX native command causing the issue.

As a workaround, I am resetting PS1 and PS2 in the shell script that I use to start/stop ds. This is a good workaround. I will open a case like Ray mentioned.

Thanks.