Server setting problem

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Alagusakthivelan
Participant

Server setting problem

Post by Alagusakthivelan »

Hi,

I have installed a new datastage server 7.1 version, while running some jobs it is showing an error mesage related to sorting...

when we contacted admin they told it is about some settings problem related to sorting.
could you guyz plz tell me where to find these settings and getting things corrected.

Sakthi......
meena
Participant

Post by meena »

Hi,
Can you post the error.
Alagusakthivelan
Participant

Hi meena,

currently i am not in office...and it is nt showing any particular error..

just giving a message saying " Sorting problem" and the job is getting aborted...

i want to know where in datastage serverwe can find settings for sorting and for other functions...
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Are you specifying the temp directory in the Sort stage? Did you also make any changes to defaults settings on the properties tab in the sort stage?
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
Alagusakthivelan
Participant

Yes the temp diectory is specified

and we ddi not make any changes to the default settings...

i am sorry frenzzz.....
i forgot mention one thing... that is UNIX sort not the datastage sorting stage...

we are calling UNIXsortfrom data stage job sequencer.. and it is failing and thats y we are thinking that this is some settings problem
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not a DataStage setting issue, should be an issue with your sort command. More that likely, running it from the command line (outside of DataStage) will generate the same error.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Post the precise sort command that you have used in the Execute Command activity as well as the (already requested) error message, and a more precise diagnosis is likely to be possible.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Alagusakthivelan
Participant

frenz,

the sort command when it is given in the UNIX consloe it is working fine..but only when it is called from datastage riutine it is giving problems and it iscreating the following error message...

Seq_ActsPty_Src_Nb..JobControl (rtSortFileOnKeyFields ???????????): Fatal error when executing the command: sort -S 1000000 -o

/aiuajapan/test/P1B/SP02/POLICY/ACTSPTY/ActsPtyItemSectionNb_SP02_RID -T /aiujapan/test/P1B/ETL/SORT/POLICY/ACTSPTY/ -t \| -k2,2 -k225,225

/aiujapan/test/P1B/ETL/WORK/SRC/POLICY/ACTSPTY//ActsPtyItemSectionNb_MrgWrk_RID 2>>/dev/null

please reply me
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

DataStage is simply executing the Unix sort command on a file. Try writing a shell script to do the sort. If you can get that shell script to work, then just put that shell script into the Sequence Command stage.

Your problem is with the unix sort command and the file it is sorting. Fix that.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Since you claim that the sort command works from the UNIX console, Ken Bland's advice to put the sort command in a script and invoke the script is good advice.

Sometimes the transition from DataStage to the UNIX shell alters commands slightly, particularly where quote characters are used.

Look in the job log to see the actual command that was sent to UNIX from DataStage, and whether that is the same as the command you asked to be executed.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Alagusakthivelan
Participant

Thanks for your suggestions kevin and ray..

I will try this solution on monday and will let u know the status.
vsraj
Participant

Sort routine

Post by vsraj »

Hi Sakthi-san,

This problem continues for DTA also yar. It works fine for first 3 records alone, if we run with more than three records it gets abort.
Alagusakthivelan
Participant

Hi That solution is also not working...still it is showing having some problem with sorting...

Any other ideas frienz....
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please post the entire (exact) detailed error message so we can determine whether the error message source is the sort command itself or DataStage.
Alagusakthivelan
Participant

Hi,

I have already posted the error message..the same message is repeated again...
any other idea... like did anyone knows where the sort settings in UNIX will be..or in datastage..so that i can check which server is having problems...