Accessing Universe from Unix

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

CharlesNagy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Accessing Universe from Unix

Post by CharlesNagy »

Is it possible to access the Universe environment for a project directly from a unix directory? I would imagine it should be possible because you can do it from the administrator command window, (albeit, somewhat clumsily).
There should be a Unix command to invoke the Universe environment, but I don't know what it is, or where to give it. Anyone with any ideas?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi CharlesNagy,
Welcome to Dsxchange!!

$DSHOME/bin/uv "uv commands" is one way you can call the uv commands from the command prompt.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Make sure to source dsenv first.

Code: Select all

cd `cat /.dshome`
. ./dsenv
bin/dssh
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Just in case this is confusing for people. The uv command sets the ulimit and then runs uvsh. uvsh and dssh are the same command on DataStage. This is called the Universe shell or the DataStage engine shell. The Universe shell is the command line interface to the Universe database in a similar manor as sqlplus is to Oracle.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

First, get yourself a copy of UniVerse. Since 2000 UniVerse (the database product) has been owned and sold by IBM, and DataStage is a separate product. Technically, therefore, and even though the executable is called uv, we should be referring to DataStage Engine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
CharlesNagy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Accessing Universe from Unix

Post by CharlesNagy »

Thanks to everyone who has contributed. Much appreciated. However, when I attempt to run the 'uv' command I get the following (I include the directory structure I ran it from for reference) :

dstaged1:/usr/dstage/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/bin:$ uv
exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program uv because of the following errors:
0509-150 Dependent module libgciudt6.so could not be loaded.
0509-022 Cannot load module libgciudt6.so.
0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.

Perhaps I am not in the right place, or the directory structure is not set up to run Universe. I would add that I am not very comfortable in Unix so I don't know what is meant by 'source dsenv'
CharlesNagy wrote:Is it possible to access the Universe environment for a project directly from a unix directory? I would imagine it should be possible because you can do it from the administrator command window, (albeit, somewhat clumsily).
There should be a Unix command to invoke the Universe environment, but I don't know what it is, or where to give it. Anyone with any ideas?
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Try Ken's way. It should fix this error.
Mamu Kim
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

First, it's not Universe, it's the DS Engine. To enter the command line, you must have the dsenv file loaded into your user environment. Then, you need to run dssh from the DS Engine directory. The commands I posted earlier change to the appropriate directory, load the the dsenv file into your environment, and then executes the bin/dssh command. Do it exactly as I have shown, do not be in the bin directory.

You will now be at the command prompt. While the DS Engine is a code branch of the Universe DBMS, it is NOT Universe. Phrase your questions about the DS Engine. Your error messages indicate that shared libraries aren't loaded in the path, and this indicatesyou have not sourced the dsenv file into your environment.

How about following the commands I've shown here, and then posting any relevant error messages?
Kenneth Bland

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

libgciudt6.so is a shared library for accessing UniData 6.0 databases. It is (deliberately or accidentally) not included with all versions of DataStage. Alas, it is hard coded into the uv executable to open it, even though you don't access UniData databases. Contact your support provider to obtain a copy of this library.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
CharlesNagy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Missing library file

Post by CharlesNagy »

Thanks everybody. I have tried to execute the dssh command but it looks like Ray is right and the library file is just not loaded. I got the following error again:

dstaged1:/usr/dstage/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/bin:$ dssh
exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program dssh because of the following errors:
0509-150 Dependent module libgciudt6.so could not be loaded.
0509-022 Cannot load module libgciudt6.so.
0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name does not exist

As I am just on a short term contract, I don't think it worthwhile to try to get hold of this file.

Sorry, I thought this was going to be easier. I guess I shall just continue to use the cumbersome command line option in administrator. I didn't anticipate spending a lot of time there, but it would have been nice to enter directly from Unix.

Much appreciate everybody's comments and help, Thanks!
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Does your DataStage Administrator work?
Mamu Kim
CharlesNagy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Accessing Universe from Unix - Situation Resolved

Post by CharlesNagy »

After some advice from another colleague, I tried running the 'dssh' command from the DSEngine directory, rather than the Bin directory, and voila, I was in. This took me to the DSEngine account, from which I was able to access my project by doing a LOGTO command. (The 'uv' command still does not work). Whilst I realise that I am not really in Universe, it looks like Universe and all the commands work, so I am happy.

Thanks to everyone who contributed!
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Isn't that precisely what Ken provided back on the third post in this thread :?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Mike wrote:Isn't that precisely what Ken provided back on the third post in this thread :?
and clearly stated, with full explanation to be the correct directory and why, in my second post.

Somedays life on this forum is like the scene from Silence of the Lambs, you know:

"It rubs the lotion on its body."
Kenneth Bland

kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

From my second post, which would have saved you days of time...
kcbland wrote:Do it exactly as I have shown, do not be in the bin directory.
Kenneth Bland