Parallel job in DS Server edition

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chowmunyee
Participant

Parallel job in DS Server edition

Post by chowmunyee »

Hi,

When open the DS, there is a window prompt out to ask use new derver job, sequence job and etc. I saw there is a new parallel job and new parallel shared container. My question is can we do the parallel job in server edition? and what is functions on this both jobs?

Thank you
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Usually having those options means you have it installed.
So try building a new parallel job a simple column generator stage directed to /dev/null using a sequential file in append mode will do the trick.
in any case bare in mind you need a C++ compiler to be able to compile parallel jobs that make use of the transformer stage.

IHTH,
Last edited by roy on Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
chowmunyee
Participant

Post by chowmunyee »

then what is the difference since i can develop a parallel job in server edition rather than using parallel extender?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can't "develop a parallel job in Server edition". If all you have is the Server edition, then all you can generate are Server jobs. If you have the Enterprise edition, then you can create either. And the same Designer tool is used for both.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chowmunyee
Participant

Post by chowmunyee »

chulett wrote:You can't "develop a parallel job in Server edition". If all you have is the Server edition, then all you can generate are Server jobs. If you have the Enterprise edition, then you can create either. And the same Designer tool is used for both.
so which means...i can create the parallel job in designer at server edition but i cannot run it at server edition. so, i have to export the job to the parallel extander?

is it with this meaning?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, that's not what I meant... I meant exactly what I said. :?

If you have the ability to create PX jobs, then you have the Enterprise Edition of DataStage. The Enterprise Edition supports both Server and PX jobs, created using the same client tools - Designer, Director, etc - all work for both Server and PX jobs.

If all you have is the plain Server or Extended Editions of DataStage, then you can't create PX jobs. Period.

Not sure how to say it any clearer than that.
-craig

chowmunyee
Participant

Post by chowmunyee »

i'm sorry that i makes u on trouble....coz my client keep asking me on we can use the parallel jobs in server edition.The reason she saw thats is a new parallel job , new parallel shared container on the window prompt out once u open the DS. she said if we using the new parallel job then which means we can develop the parallel job.

But my mind is....we just only can create the "parallel job in enterprise edition only"

is it correct?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The literal answer to "can we use the parallel jobs in server edition" is no. If the question is "can we only create the parallel job in enterprise edition only", the answer is yes.

But keep in mind the fact that in the Enterprise Edition you can also create Server jobs. :wink:
-craig

kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

The reason that you see the option to create a Parallel Job in the popup window is because you have Enterprise Edition installed along with the ServerEdition while installing DataStage. Now, if you can create parallel jobs..The answer is Yes.You can use the stages and just design a job. You can choose to create a Parallel Job but you wont be able to compile and run them unless you have a C++ compiler. And the rest..I think Craig explained it neatly.
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
chowmunyee
Participant

Post by chowmunyee »

Thank you very much everybody, now i much more clearer.....

To make double confirm regarding on the licence, DS server edition and Enterprise Edition are different licence?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

What version of enterprise editon you have?
It will come with the package of Server as well as PX editon. You need to key in seperated licience key for each while installaion.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

For more detail about the ibm products you can check here.
http://ibm.ascential.com/products/websp ... stage.html
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Just noted, the first Post under this new forum. :wink: