Postgres Support ?

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

greenplum
Participant

Postgres Support ?

Post by greenplum »

Is anyone working on a Postgres Stage? The ODBC connection is a bit slow for large loads. It also appears that the Linux Postgres ODBC driver is not supported by IBM. Seems like the best thing to do would be to create a stage plugin (not sure I'm using the correct terminology) for Postgres. Anyone out there already working on such a project?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

May I know what is Postgres?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
greenplum
Participant

Post by greenplum »

kumar_s wrote:May I know what is Postgres?
Postgres is an open source database.

http://www.postgresql.org/
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Humm... Thanks for that. :P
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That a driver is not supported by IBM doesn't mean you can't use it. That's the entire point of OPEN DataBase Connectivity. All you need to do is to have its library findable (LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, set in the dsenv script) and edit the .odbc.ini file to refer to it. Use any of the other entries therein as a prototype. You will also need to emplace an entry in the uvodbc.config file in your project to indicate that your data source name (DSN) is of type ODBC rather than of type UNIVERSE, so that the driver will be loaded.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
greenplum
Participant

Post by greenplum »

ray.wurlod wrote:That a driver is not supported by IBM doesn't mean you can't use it. That's the entire point of OPEN DataBase Connectivity. All you need to do is to have its library findable (LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, set in the dsenv script) and edit the .odbc.ini file to refer to it. Use any of the other entries therein as a prototype. You will also need to emplace an entry in the uvodbc.config file in your project to indicate that your data source name (DSN) is of type ODBC rather than of type UNIVERSE, so that the driver will be loaded.
Yes, we already are using the existing Postgres ODBC driver--unfortuately we have run into a few issues (problems we don't see with other ODBC based products using the same driver). As I mentioned before, when you contact IBM support, they won't help because the driver is not on their supported list.

In addition to the bugs, loading large datasets through ODBC is not the quickest of alternatives. IBM has other RDBMS "plug-ins" that take advantage of the database products high speed loader among other DB specific capablities. I'm curious if any one is working on or has seen such a plug-in for postgres--I can't find anything via the Postgres community.

Having that said, I would be very interested to hear any ideas you might have on getting IBM to support the existing Postgres ODBC driver.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

I did a project two years ago with MySQL, it was the same situation. What we ultimately did for the customer was use the 3rd party ODBC driver simply for metadata gathering, but did all DB processing thru scripts. We found that the command line was suitable for the types of processing you do in ETL. Most queries are SELECT * from table WHERE blah blah blah, and most loads were bulk loading inserts and then updates where bulk loads into work tables and then a merging query like a correlated update.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle