Unable to create a new job and open an existing job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Most likely your problem was triggered with a disk full condition, and if you still cannot create a file it probably still is full. Correct that first.

Then you will need to go into TCL or your ADMIN tool. Run the command "COUNT DS_JOBOBJECTS" to see what, if any, error message you get. If you have file corruption indicated then you will need to run the UNIX command "fixtool -file DS_JOBOBJECTS" to see what that says, and when you have made a backup you can re-run that command with the "-fix" option.
puli.reddy
Participant

Post by puli.reddy »

Thanks for your help.
Yes exactly, When I was executing the command, it gives a warning message that file is corrupted so that unable to open DS_JOBOBECTS as you said. I tried to exceute the unix command, but it says fixtool isn't found in your VOC.
Thnaks and Regards,
AnjiReddy.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You need to use fixtool from a UNIX shell, not from inside the DataStage shell. The command is in your $DSHOME/bin directory in case you don't have that in your path.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is this a parallel job or a server job?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Its a server job.
CREATE.FILE error.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Even the parallel version uses the CREATE.FILE command internally to create the necessary log files.
Alternatiely you can use UVFIXFILE from TCL to fix it, but it is always suggested after backup.
Last edited by kumar_s on Sun May 14, 2006 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
puli.reddy
Participant

It is a server job only

Post by puli.reddy »

Thansk for your response, I tried to execute the command in unix as you said, but it says fixtool not found.
Thnaks and Regards,
AnjiReddy.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

fixtool is available in home directry.

Code: Select all

cd $DHOME
>fixtool -fix {filename}
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
puli.reddy
Participant

Post by puli.reddy »

I tried as you sead, but the result didn't change.
When I was executing the command cd $DSHOME or cd $DHOME it takes to the remote directory unless I tried cd $DSHOME/bin

I couldn't be able to explore more.
If anyone of you can ensure that this command can resolve this issue. I will talk with our unix administrator and seek his help to fix this issue.

Thanks a lot for your time.
Thnaks and Regards,
AnjiReddy.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The fixtool is in your $DSHOME/bin directory.

When you run this program it will attempt to fix the file, chances are high that you will lose a group's worth of information or more but that the file will be useable after you run the fix. Since the DS_JOBOBJECTS file contains important parts of job design you will most likely lose at least one job's information (either in whole or in part).

Take backups in the future to ensure that any data loss in the future is limited.
puli.reddy
Participant

Post by puli.reddy »

As I said earlier, I couldn't find the fixfile in bin directory. Seems I can proceed to fix the file as our group members suggested. I will discuss with our Admin tomorrow. Will let you know all, what ever happens.

Thanks for your time.
Thnaks and Regards,
AnjiReddy.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The program is call fixtool and if it is not there you have an incomplete installation. You can always use the UNIX command "find / -file fixtool -print" to locate it.
puli.reddy
Participant

Post by puli.reddy »

I tried to find out, but I don't have the privileges to read many directories.
Anyother way to fix this problem other than the option fixfile?
Thnaks and Regards,
AnjiReddy.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

puli.reddy - it is fixtool, not fixfile! And the only other option is the old UVFIXFILE from the TCL environment, and you need to be DataStage administrator to run it.

Do you have your $DSHOME environment variable defined? If not, the program location is a `cat /.dshome`/bin/fixtool
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

BTW what you mean "When I was executing the command cd $DSHOME or cd $DHOME it takes to the remote directory unless I tried cd $DSHOME/bin"
What the output for echo $DSHOME. Check your .profile whether DSHOME is assigned to a value. Else try to source dsenv file. And the above procedures. But you can always speak to you admin reg permissions.