Performance - Teradata with PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Peytot
Participant

Performance - Teradata with PX

Post by Peytot »

Hi,

Is anybody use Teradata with PX? IActually, I used it with server (only).
Could you please give me the result, performance, statistic, ... I don't know, all that you have which permit me to use PX instead of Server. :twisted:

Big Thanks,

Pey
Teej
Participant

Re: Performance - Teradata with PX

Post by Teej »

Here's the marketing speak:

PX.

FAST!

Server.

SLOW! (*)

(* Test comparison sample done with a GURU using PX and a newbie using Server. Your results may vary.)

:lol:

Seriously... as I told others, I have observed dramatic improvement in using PX with Oracle compared to Server with Oracle. However, others have chimed in that they were able to throw around terrabyte of data in Server with Oracle just fine, thankyouverymuch. All they have to do is ... [50 pages of steps required removed]. :lol:

It is not just the tools that may be faster or slower -- Ascential has been striving to improve the performance problems that has been spotted over time. PX is still maturing (7.0.1 promises far better Lookup stage performance for example), while Server is mature.

What really matters are the skill of the pros using each tools. I am considered to be pretty good at PX development. But I can barely come close to the needed optimization steps that gurus like Ray, Ken, and Kim could with Server.

So which is faster? Better question: Which tools are your team skilled with?

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
Peytot
Participant

Post by Peytot »

Thanks Teej,

I know that but with server, after several versions, we have a Teradata plug-in which is acceptable but I don't know with PX, If the plug-in is acceptable, performante or bad (Present just for saying, you can use Teradata with PX :?: ).

Pey
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

Peytot wrote:(Present just for saying, you can use Teradata with PX :?: ).
This is referring to 6.x, and may have changed for 7.x:

Yes, straight out of the box, PX have support for DB2, Oracle, Informix XPS, Teradata, and SAS.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).