SQL (pass through) datatype

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

1stpoint
Participant

SQL (pass through) datatype

Post by 1stpoint »

This has been long on my wishlist. It would be really nice to have a "pass through" derivation that does not attempt to be compiled but simply passed through to the Output link. This will allow the developer to not have to use as many Hash lookups or user-defined SQL.

I want to be able in the Transformer to specify in a column derivation:

Derivation Column Name
VERSION+1 VERSION
FKEYSEQUENCE.NextVal Fkey_Sequence

VERSION will have an SQL type of (SQL).

UPDATE <<table>>
Set VERSION = VERSION+1,
Fkey_Sequence=FKEYSEQUENCE.NextVal
Teej
Participant

Re: SQL (pass through) datatype

Post by Teej »

1stpoint wrote:This has been long on my wishlist. It would be really nice to have a "pass through" derivation that does not attempt to be compiled but simply passed through to the Output link. This will allow the developer to not have to use as many Hash lookups or user-defined SQL.

I want to be able in the Transformer to specify in a column derivation:

Derivation Column Name
VERSION+1 VERSION
FKEYSEQUENCE.NextVal Fkey_Sequence

VERSION will have an SQL type of (SQL).

UPDATE <<table>>
Set VERSION = VERSION+1,
Fkey_Sequence=FKEYSEQUENCE.NextVal
This is a response based on 6.x:

With Server (at least with Oracle), you can create an user-defined SQL that contains that very same thing. However, this would be an excellent feature to add for PX. Right now, we use a custom stage to handle the .NextVal concept.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
1stpoint
Participant

user-defined SQL, just say no.

Post by 1stpoint »

With Server (at least with Oracle), you can create an user-defined SQL that contains that very same thing.
This is exactly the scenario I am trying to avoid. If we have to resort to user-defined SQL we then need an added level of maintenance to something that could be automated via a SQL/passthrough.