This topic has been marked "Resolved."
gsbrown

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:37 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

DataStage® Release: 9x
Job Type: Parallel
Additional info: Parallel Hierarchical Stage Can't Open
Discovered today we're no longer able to edit Hierarchical Stage due to Adobe Flash Player EOL and was removed from our client workstations (Windows 10)

I opened a support ticket with IBM to get some advice but also curious to learn here how developers are handling this? Especially if reinstalling Adobe Flash Player isn't an option in our organization.
gsbrown

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

This article from IBM is very helpful. Since our Adobe Flash Players haven't yet been uninstalled, the work-around to add lines to "mms.cfg" made Hierarchical Stage work again. Then, I'm working with our Network/Operations team to try and prevent updates that would remove Adobe Flash Player. Long-term our plan is to get to 11.7 early this year and we'll use IBM DataStage Flow Designer to edit Hierarchical Stage that doesn't utilize Flash

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/1282666
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
PaulVL

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:14 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Are you saying that editing mms.cfg with an uninstalled Adobe fixed your issue? That is odd.

We host our client installs on Citrix so it's a slightly better area to survive the whammy hammer from the corporate wide mandate of removing Adobe. As that Citrix image owner I get to fill out exception paperwork until IBM provides a patch.

My guess is that they will point to the thin client aspect and say to use that. Not sure if that has hierarchical stage support off the top of my head.
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
gsbrown

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:42 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Apologize, at the time of my post I had assumed Adobe Flash Player was uninstalled, when in fact, it was still there and access to blocked. The "mms.cfg" work-around basically whitelists and allows the IIS *.swf file for Hierarchical Stage to utilize Flash. Then to further protect us, I've asked our Network/Operations team to hold off pushing any Windows updates to developers until we get can get to 11.7 in case those updates include actually uninstalling Adobe Flash Player or further restrict it's use on Windows.
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
gsbrown

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:42 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Apologize, at the time of my post I had assumed Adobe Flash Player was uninstalled, when in fact, it was still there and access to blocked. The "mms.cfg" work-around basically whitelists and allows the IIS *.swf file for Hierarchical Stage to utilize Flash. Then to further protect us, I've asked our Network/Operations team to hold off pushing any Windows updates to developers until we get can get to 11.7 in case those updates include actually uninstalling Adobe Flash Player or further restrict it's use on Windows.
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
ray.wurlod

Premium Poster
Participant

Group memberships:
Premium Members, Inner Circle, Australia Usergroup, Server to Parallel Transition Group

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:19 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Adobe have partnered with Harman to provide a Flash replacement. It works with all of the Flash-using stage types.

Not yet rated

Add To Favorites
View next topic
View previous topic