ORA-01843: not a valid month

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abhilashnair
Participant

ORA-01843: not a valid month

Post by abhilashnair »

I have a strange issue wherein a query runs fine in TOAD, but not on Datastage Oracle connector, the job fails with error

The OCI function OCIStmtFetch2 returned status -1. Error code: 1843, Error message: ORA-01843: not a valid month. (CC_OraStatement::fetch, file CC_OraStatement.cpp, line 1,729)

The query is

select
col1,col2..coln
from table 1
where
col1<=(select max(col1) from table 2)

here col1 of table1 and col1 of table2 have same data type- DATE in Oracle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not strange. Toad just runs the sql and shows you the result, DataStage has to do more than that. It needs to put the results into variables (much like a "select into" in PL/SQL) and that is what is causing your issue. The question is, what are the data types of the columns in the job? An implicit conversion going on under the covers is failing.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

Weirdly though, the same job works without GREATER THAN EQUAL TO operator within the where condition.

For example when I run the query with below where condition job goes fine

where
col1=(select max(col1) from table 2)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Probably just a difference in the data selected between the two filters. Still would like to see my question answered.
-craig

abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

As I said, I did run the same job without the where condition and with same metadata. It ran successfully
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Right. Oddly enough, I actually read your post before I replied. And unfortunately, simply regurgitating information doesn't help us help you. :(

We would need more information from you in order to carry on this discussion...
-craig

abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

chulett wrote:Not strange. Toad just runs the sql and shows you the result, DataStage has to do more than that. It needs to put the results into variables (much like a "select into" in PL/SQL) and that is what is causing your issue. The question is, what are the data types of the columns in the job? An implicit conversion going on under the covers is failing.
The metadata was imported and loaded in the Oracle connector stage using IMAM, if that is what you were asking. On top of it, I have cros verified them with database.