Snowflake table updating very slowly

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Nagac
Premium Member
Premium Member

Snowflake table updating very slowly

Post by Nagac »

Hi

I am trying to Update and insert a table in Snowflake via separate Jobs. Update is taking long time and not finishing in Monitor it says only 1 row is being processing all the time and it didn't go more than that.

I am using ODBC Stage and updating the data using 3 key columns and 5 non key columns are being updated

Volume:30000

Would you please advise if we can load quicker using another way such as bulk or any methods?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Snowflake, eh? The database that says it has "the instant and near-infinite performance, concurrency and scale your organization requires"? Hmmm.

Clarify your "key columns" statement, please. All it means in a tool like this is they are bound into the WHERE clause so... do you have a composite index over them? And I am also curious if you are running the insert and update jobs at the same time.

I think your last question should be posted on whatever peer-to-peer support site the Snowflake peoples have.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Nagac
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nagac »

Thanks chulett

There are no index build on table and i am running Update job then insert job in sequence.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... then understand that every update will need to do a full table scan in an effort to find the record it is looking for. There isn't a slower way possible to update a table that I can think of. So, unless there's some other kind of Snowflake magic you can use, get a index on that table!
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers