Check in datastage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

thurmy34
Premium Member
Premium Member

Check in datastage

Post by thurmy34 »

Hi
I would like to know if there is a way to lock a job without staying in the designer.

Regards
Hope This Helps
Regards
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Open Director and start a job monitor.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

if you intentionally crash out of, lose the network, or similar while having it open in datastage designer it will lock as you without being actively open (alt f4 will do the trick). However, in either case, be aware that its possible to force them unlocked if someone is annoyed. We wrote a job to do just that, because people kept locking by accident. The job locking was never meant to be a surrogate for code check in / check out type locks. If that is what you want it for, there are some tricks for using a code repository with datastage (I found it extremely clunky, but its possible).
thurmy34
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thurmy34 »

Hi UCDI
Can you tell me more about the code repository ?
Thank you
Hope This Helps
Regards
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I assume we're talking about this?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
thurmy34
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thurmy34 »

Hi
We are using gitlab as cvs.
What we want do to is locked the job even nobody is on it in a client.
Thank you.
Hope This Helps
Regards
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

well... why not make a protected project and only have a very limited quantity of user ids that can deploy code to that project.

If you automate the deployment via shell scripting, you can do away with the need to "lock" jobs, because the project is protected.
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

our group managed to connect it into microsoft's TFS but it was too clunky to use. There was some direct connect via a third party library or plug in to tfs.

There are all sorts of ways to set something up.
you can export jobs/whatever and save those in any normal repository tool.
you can also use the package deployment system as a repository. Just don't overwrite them, always do a new build and it tracks versions nicely.

The repository tricks don't lock the job. They just do version control. Datastage itself keeps 2 people from editing the same job at once so long as you don't force it and intentionally confuse it. I don't know a way to combine the two. You can do it, but it would be awkward to use. I mean you can probably write something that moves the code in and out of the folders ... force users to check it out which puts it in the repository for editing, check in bundles the changes up to the repository and removes it again... or similar ideas.

My team went with the deployed packages approach. That + nightly backups has been more than enough to keep us out of trouble. And I work at a large place.
thurmy34
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thurmy34 »

Hi
What do you think of using the C API (DSLockJob)?
Regards.
Hope This Helps
Regards
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

DS locking is a mostly functional tool to prevent 2 people from editing the same job at the same time. It works for that, more or less -- the biggest issue we have with it is that it can lock you out from the job you were editing (locked by you preventing you from entry) which is mostly caused by even the smallest of network glitches (eg drop a wireless packet is enough, or swapping wired to wireless via docking does it).

I personally would not trust it to keep people out of the code, as it can be bypassed easily -- again, we had to make a job that unlocks it to counter the above network fails, and that was not difficult to do...

It will work, if your team agrees to use it the way you want them to, which is normal for these kinds of tools anyway, most operate on a good faith / honor type system as much as tech.
thurmy34
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thurmy34 »

Hi UCDI
To be honest with you i don't understand your answer.
What is DS Locking ?
Thanks
Hope This Helps
Regards
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

Dastastage can lock jobs to prevent multiple people editing at once. You can manually lock and unlock them yourself, but I am advising against this as a form of code repository control because locks would not always imply repository lock / failure to check the code out, but could be caused by network problems and other issues.
thurmy34
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thurmy34 »

Hi
You can manually lock and unlock them yourself --> Can you tell me more about this ?
Thanks
Hope This Helps
Regards
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

Like I said we had so much trouble we made a job for it.
it just calls a tcl command 'unlock all'. I don't know if there is a lock all or what available; this is above my digging around.
frolen
Participant

Post by frolen »

Open Director and start a job monitor.