how much Ram, CPU and Disk Space we need

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Lavanya B
Participant

how much Ram, CPU and Disk Space we need

Post by Lavanya B »

Hi DSGurus,

We are working on Data Migration project.
Our source is Oracle and target system is also Oracle.
We will be designing parallel jobs.
There are about 40 source tables to be read and 57 target tables to be loaded.
Data volume to be loaded is about 50 million records.
We need to decide on the memory allocation for our project(how much Ram, CPU and Disk Space we need).
Can anyone please let us know what parameters need to be considered to decide on the space to be allocated in unix system for a project similar to the one mentioned above.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't have an answer to your question, only a question of my own who's answer may affect your answer. When you say this is a "data migration project" and mention the volume and table counts, to me it implies that this may be something you'll be doing one time rather than daily. Is that the case? Or are you saying your daily data volume is ~50M records?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Lavanya B
Participant

Post by Lavanya B »

yes, it is a one time load... we need a rough estimate of the space,cpu and ram that is required for this load.
are there any standards to calculate the number of nodes,ram,disk space needed to process the data based on the volume of data?
please suggest
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I think you would be fine running a server based on the documented minimum system requirements, plus 4 GB additional RAM, and enough disk space to land all your data plus some extra free space.

You could also check with your IBM sales rep, as they can put you in touch with the IBM group that does sizing estimates.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yeah, was gonna chime in earlier and say something similar. Not sure how much effort I would put into "right-sizing" an environment for a one time load beyond what qt_ky has listed.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers