Sort as EBCDIC

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rakesh.puli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sort as EBCDIC

Post by rakesh.puli »

Hi All,

why do we use this property in sort stage "Sort as EBCDIC"? Can anyone please explain me about this property?

Thanks
Rakesh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... not sure what kind of explanation you are looking for. You would set this property to TRUE if you were processing (sorting) EBCDIC data. This so it doesn't use the ASCII collating sequence on it, since they sort differently. Found this checking online, perhaps it might help.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

It's an easy mistake to make when processing EBCDIC character set data in the DataStage ASCII character set default environment. The setting you see is how you control that.

Sorting is on the binary data which represents the characters. The main difference between the character sets are the numerals. EBCDIC "0" is xF0, ASCII is x30, etc.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Right... had meant to come back and mention that this was all predicated on DataStage running in an ASCII environment but got ambushed. Thanks for the catch.
-craig

rakesh.puli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rakesh.puli »

Hi Chulett/Franklin,

Thank you for your replies. I understand from your replies that, In datastage by default sorting is done by ASCII character set. I would like to know what is the meaning of EBCDIC Character set. what is the difference between the ASCII Character set and EBCDIC Character set? Please share me if you have any example on this?

Thanks
Rakesh
rakesh.puli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rakesh.puli »

chulett wrote:Well... not sure what kind of explanation you are looking for. You would set this property to TRUE if you were processing (sorting) EBCDIC data. This so it doesn't use the ASCII collating sequence on it, since they sort differently. Found this checking online, perhaps it might help.
Thanks, Chulett. This thread is useful.
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Rakesh,

Find the charts for the character sets, showing the characters and their hexadecimal values. Put EBCDIC and ASCII side by side.

I suggest finding older charts which stop at xFF or before. Extended character sets will get confusing after that.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry, didn't realize you weren't any kind of familiar with EBCDIC. Another possibly helpful URL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBCDIC
-craig