Is it possible to hide project in datastage client

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lkevin1210
Participant

Is it possible to hide project in datastage client

Post by lkevin1210 »

I have 1 datastage server (linux) and 2 datastage clients (window, machines are named client1 with ip 192.168.1.1 & client2 with ip 192.168.1.2), and i have 2 projects created (prj1 & prj2).
I would like to only allow my users to access prj1 in client1; access prj2 in client2, so is it possible to hide prj2 in client1's datastage client project selection dropdown list (same for client2 to hide prj1)?
If it is not possible to enable the "hide" behavior, anything I can do to permit users from accessing prj2 in client1 and prj1 in client2?
Thanks so much for your helps! :D
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

As far as I know, it is not possible to restrict project access according to client IP address.

You can restrict project access on a per user basis, via DataStage Administrator, project properties, permissions. So, you could allow user1 permission to prj1 and user2 to prj2. Each user will see each project in the dropdown list but will only be allowed to open projects they've been granted access to. Have you already done this much?

Expanding on that, there used to be a way to hide certain projects from the dropdown list. I did it once back on version 6.x maybe, but it has been so, so many years ago, I don't recall any of the details on that. Also, the security around project access was different back then. Just wanted to mention it in case you could find it by searching the forums, and in case it still worked on newer versions. Again, it was not according to client IP address though, but rather it worked on a per user basis.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

You could install two instances of DataStage on the same server and have them log in to their respective version.

Or you could simply tell your customers that "In order to lower cost of ownership and to obtain a lower end cost for you, I have placed your project upon a shared resource. Capacity usage will be monitored and assurances made so that you obtain the agreed upon resources when needed."

Hiding the fact that you bundled up two different customers on the same hardware will bite you in the bottom later on. Best to fess up now, and label it a cost savings. That way they will appreciate it.