Sequence Job Activity Trigger for OK and another for Failed

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

iamcjej
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequence Job Activity Trigger for OK and another for Failed

Post by iamcjej »

Migrating from DataManager to DataStage. I have a single sequence calling 18 job activities (parallel jobs) that must proceed if OK, and Fail if not OK. Must I really add a Terminator activity and trigger for all 18? Seems so clunky. Any best practice I can follow? Thanks :roll:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm assuming "proceed if OK" means you need to run the jobs one after the other? If so, then yes, an appropriate trigger between them would be required. The Terminator, not so much. A global setting in the Sequence job can abort it if anything fails in it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Is this 18 jobs that run one at a time sequentially, or do they kick off simultaneously, or in groups?

In any case, what is your job recovery requirement? Do you rerun jobs that already completed okay, or do you want to skip them?

Terminator stages are part of the mix. If you want spot recoverability, you need them with checkpoints enabled if rerunning needs to avoid jobs that completed.

If some or all of the jobs are running in parallel, the Terminator stage has a setting that allows running jobs to complete before issuing the abort.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872