COBOL file without copybook

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

The simple part is that DataStage does not handle OCCURS DEPENDING. I don't know the details for that, but it just doesn't.

Ernie's suggestion is to use the Server sequential file stage, because it is less restrictive than the Parallel stage.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Datastage documentation says, it supports OCCURS DEPENDING ON . In the example also it mentioned OCCURS DEPENDING ON..For other segments which uses, 0 TO 4 or 0 TO 6, I could see in the metadata.
Rumu
IT Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Rumu - IMHO, it is WAY past time to involve your official support provider in all this if you haven't done so already. Especially for stuff like your OCCURS DEPENDING ON question.

Should be obvious but the reason you are "unable to read" Ernie's detailed post is because it is Premium Content. Without going into the merits of it, especially for seeing full replies from folks like Ernie or Ray, you'd need to sign up for that. And if anyone "shared the entire post" that would be a pretty big no-no that I would be forced to nuke. FYI.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

I modified the copy book with occurs depending on clause and could see in the cobol layout of metadata tab.
I imported the metadata with group column but in selection tab, I did not select the group column but used the flatten array option.

In the Record option, I selected Variable length, Big endian, Unix new line delimiter, EBCDIC data format and Binary type.

While running the job, it aborts with following warning:

Code: Select all

Transformer_1: Error when checking operator: When binding input interface field "CHD_HRSK_ACS_SEGMENT" to field "CHD_HRSK_ACS_SEGMENT": A variable-length vector is bound to a fixed-length vector input field.
Error when checking operator: When binding input interface field "CHD_CLIENT_PRODUCT_SMALL_1" to field "CHD_CLIENT_PRODUCT_SMALL_1": A variable-length vector is bound to a fixed-length vector input field.
Error when checking operator: When binding input interface field "CHD_CLIENT_PRODUCT_LARGE_1" to field "CHD_CLIENT_PRODUCT_LARGE_1": A variable-length vector is bound to a fixed-length vector input field.
here the columns are mentioned which are used in OCCURS depending clause as below:

Code: Select all

06  CHD-HRSK-ACS-SEGMENT OCCURS 0 TO 2 TIMES
00287A             DEPENDING ON CHD-NO-HRSK-ACS-SEGS  PIC X(200).
I searched the forum and in one post similar error was posted but with no resolution.
Can anybody throw any light on it?
Rumu
IT Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Official. Support. Provider.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

OCCURS DEPENDING ON clarification

Post by ray.wurlod »

The deal is that DataStage supports only one OCCURS DEPENDING ON clause. It does not support multiple OCCURS DEPENDING ON clauses.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Thanks Ray for the confirmation. I raised this issue with IBM local support.
My cobol copy book has 5 ODO clause. Could you please suggest any alternative approach like some adjustment from source side? As ODO is there in the copybook, so the record is variable length. Can Mainframe make it fixed length(using Filler for the non occurrence columns)?
Rumu
IT Consultant
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's certainly a possibility, though probably a waste of resources or bandwidth. One approach would be to convert all (or all but one of the) ODO clauses into OCCURS 20 TIMES with fillers (obviously if you need more than 20 adjust accordingly). DataStage can handle any number of OCCURS clauses, but only one OCCURS DEPENDING ON clause.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

hi Ray,

If we convert all the ODO to Fixed OCCURS then it will be issue as the next available segments takes place of the previous ODO segment if it does not appear.
Rumu
IT Consultant