DB2 vs SQL Server for repositories?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dwh_user
Premium Member
Premium Member

DB2 vs SQL Server for repositories?

Post by dwh_user »

Hi experts,

How much better still is using DB2 over SQL Server for IIS repositories these days (IADB and XMETA)?

We are considering upgrading to 11.7 whilst re-architecturing (moving to RedHat). I am guessing it is safe to say that using DB2 for IIS repositories is the best option. However the DBA's are only supporting SQL Server (used currently) and a little Oracle. If we choose DB2 we will loose DBA team's support and will have responsibility for an additional tier.

If I remember correctly, DB2 gets patched very rarely (roughly twice a year?). If true, we do not have a big dependency on DBA team any more.

We have noticed that IADB on SQL Server throws many warnings due to 900 byte index key length limit (IBM's response to a ticket). I suspect that such an issue is not present with IADB on DB2.

How hard should we push the case for DB2 over SQL Server for the IIS repositories?

Thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I would say you've pretty much answered your own question, except for the subjective portion ("how hard"). What's going to make your life easier, given the fact that, as you note, very little maintenance is required for DB2?

You also need to be alert for the possibility that know-it-all SQL Server DBAs can stuff things up; the databases behind IIS (and there are as many as seven of them for version 11.7) are non-trivial structurally, particularly the metadata repository.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

... and here I was going to suggest that it's better to stick with the devil you know. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Craig! Stop talking about Ray like that! :-)
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Busted. :oops:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
dwh_user
Premium Member