COBOL file without copybook

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

May be asking a stupid question that , copybook extension is .docx.. can datastage read that metatdata file or has to be changed to .cfd?

Also, the metadata file starts with level 1 and 5 , guessing these have to be changed to 01 and 05?
Rumu
IT Consultant
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Rumu,

There's a link to the FAQ for using mainframe files at the bottom of my post.

To answer your last question first: the import wizard for COBOL FD looks for .cfd on file names. I've never tried using a formatted file like a Word doc, but the wizard is a plain text parse and you are well-advised to convert the .docx to a plain text file, then edit it to prepare it for import and save it as .cfd.

From your description, you have a multiple record type file. The record type is identified by the first two bytes of each record. CFF can handle that with one copybook that shows each record type's layout under a redefines of the record from the third byte on. The CFF FAQ can help with that as well.

This is a learn by doing task. Expect there to be mistakes and glitches. Post if you get frustrated and I might be able to help.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yup, plain text only, formatting free. Well, other than indenting, I assume. And thanks Franklin!
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Thanks Frank for your help. For the cobolcopybook what I did , I saved the docx file in plain text.Should I rename it to .cfd extension?
I changed level 1 to 01 and 5 to 05 ..While converting to plain text,it asks for CRLF but I guess in cobol an trailing . is the record delimeter in the copybook file.
Rumu
IT Consultant
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

I'm not sure what you're asking, so let me know if I missed what you need.

The copybook text file can have any extension. The import wizard for COBOL FD finds copybook files for import with the default extension .cfd, but you can have it find any other extension.

The copybook is plain text and is code that follows Cobol syntax requirements. The first byte must be in position 8 or higher. Good practice is to end every line with a period, but it's not required. Be very careful with that. Even plain text has control characters in it, but they are valid to the O/S and have no bearing on the copybook import.

The wizard is Cobol smart. It will parse each line correctly if it complies with the syntax requirements.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Sorry Craig.. I missed your response. So plain text ie .txt file is fine as copybook?
Rumu
IT Consultant
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Frank, Craig

Let me describe the Cobol source file here:

1) The file is a fixed width file with 5636 lenghth of each type of record.
2) Four type of records are there.
3)For each type of record,first 82 bytes of record length is same,field length and positioning is changing from 83 rd position. For one type of record, the field at @83 is 9 byte long where as for second record it is 11 byte long Again from @584 , the feild length and positioning are same.

So what are architech has done, he creted a common Group for first 82 bytes longthen from @83 to @583 created Record Body group for each of the 4 types using redine clause and then one common Trailer Group from @584.

1 RDT-DATA.

5 RDT-HEAD.

10 RDT-REC-CODE-BYTES.
15 RDT-REC-CODE PIC X(2).

10 RDT-REC-CODE-BYTES-DETAIL REDEFINES RDT-REC-CODE-BYTES.
15 RDT-REC-CODE-KEY PIC X.
15 RDT-REC-TYPE-CONTROL PIC X.

10 RDT-NO-POST-REASON PIC S9(3)V COMP-3.
10 RDT-SC-1 PIC X.
10 RDT-SC-2 PIC X.
10 RDT-SC-3 PIC X.
10 RDT-SC-4 PIC X.
10 RDT-SC-5 PIC X.
10 RDT-SC-6 PIC X.
10 RDT-SC-7 PIC X.
10 RDT-SC-8 PIC X.
10 RDT-CHD-SYSTEM-NO PIC X(4).
10 RDT-CHD-PRIN-BANK PIC X(4).
10 RDT-CHD-AGENT-BANK PIC X(4).
10 RDT-CHD-ACCOUNT-NUMBER PIC X(16).
10 RDT-TRANSACTION-CODE PIC S9(3)V COMP-3.
10 RDT-MRCH-SYSTEM-NO PIC X(4).
10 RDT-MRCH-PRIN-BANK PIC X(4).
10 RDT-MRCH-AGENT-NO PIC X(4).
10 RDT-MRCH-ACCOUNT-NUMBER PIC X(16).
10 RDT-DR-MERCHANT-NUMBER REDEFINES RDT-MRCH-ACCOUNT-NUMBER.
10 RDT-CHD-EXT-STATUS PIC X.
10 RDT-CHD-INT-STATUS PIC X.
10 RDT-TANI PIC X.
10 RDT-TRANSFER-FLAG PIC X.
10 RDT-ITEM-ASSES-CODE-NUM PIC 9.
10 RDT-MRCH-SIC-CODE PIC S9(5)V COMP-3.
10 RDT-TRANSACTION-DATE PIC S9(7)V COMP-3.
10 RDT-DR-DATE-OF-ITEM REDEFINES RDT-TRANSACTION-DATE.

5 RDT-BODY-1.
10 RDT-BATCH-TYPE PIC S9V COMP-3.
10 RDT-JULIAN-POST-DATE PIC S9(5)V COMP-3.
10 RDT-ENTRY-TYPE PIC X.
10 RDT-ENTRY-SYS-4 PIC X(4).
10 RDT-ENTRY-SYS-2 PIC X(2).
10 RDT-ENTRY-DATE PIC X(2).
10 RDT-ENTRY-2 PIC X(2).
10 RDT-ENTRY-LAST-6 PIC X(6).
10 RDT-BKDT-ADDITIONAL-INT PIC S9(15)V99 COMP-3.
10 RDT-BACKDATED-TRAN-FLAG PIC X.
10 RDT-CBRN-TRAN-ID PIC S9(4)V COMP-3.
10 RDT-TRANSACTION-AMOUNT PIC S9(15)V99 COMP-3.
10 RDT-AUDIT-TRAIL-DATE PIC S9(7)V COMP-3.

5 RDTCO-BODY-1 REDEFINES RDT-BODY-1.
10 RDT-DCX-BATCH-TYPE PIC S9V COMP-3.
10 RDT-DCX-JULIAN-DATE PIC S9(5)V COMP-3.
10 RDT-DCX-TYPE PIC X.
10 RDT-DCX-SYS-4 PIC X(4).
10 RDT-DCX-SYS-2 PIC X(2).
10 RDT-DCX-DATE PIC X(2).
10 RDT-DCX-2 PIC X(2).
10 RDT-DCX-LAST-6 PIC X(6).
10 RDT-DCX-ADJ-SALE-FEE-AM PIC S9(15)V99 COMP-3.
10 RDT-BACKDATED-TRAN-FLAG PIC X.
10 RDT-CBRN-TRAN-ID PIC S9(4)V COMP-3.
10 RDT-DCX-MON-TRAN-JOURNAL-AMT PIC S9(15)V99 COMP-3.
10 RDT-DCX-AUDIT-TRAIL-DATE PIC S9(7)V COMP-3.
10 RDT-DCX-PRIN-TOTAL PIC S9(13)V99 COMP-3.
10 RDT-DCX-PRIN-CASH PIC S9(13)V99 COMP-3.
10 RDT-DCX-PRIN-MRCH PIC S9(13)V99 COMP-3.
10 RDT-DCX-STMT-FIN-CHG-OFF PIC S9(11)V99 COMP-3.
10 RDT-DCX-MTJ-FIN-CHG-OFF PIC S9(11)V99 COMP-3.

This is part of the code, RDT and RDTCO are 2 tyoes of record out of 4 types.
Is this a correct way to define the metadta? Or he can create 4 different copybooks ..
One qs, for First type of record,@83 , the columnlength and name are different than the one for record type 2. This can be handled in Redine clause right? Also, in the view tab of source files are all the fields will be visible ie columns for type 1, columns for type 2?Output of the CFF stage should have all the columns so that proper columns to be selected to the respective output links.
Rumu
IT Consultant
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

That's a good start.

You have 4 types of records, each with a unique value in RDT-REC-CODE. Every record type has a common area, 82 bytes "header" and the trailer.

Your copybook can be reviewed to make sure on import that you've correctly loaded a table definition for each record type.

Loading the full, all record types table definition to CFF is your first step, having made sure CFF is configured for multiple record types. After the table definition is loaded, the Record ID tab will be active and you'll enter there how each record type is identified.

Follow the using CFF FAQ. It will get you there, and anything left will be things you need to clean up. Give it a try, and let us know how it turns out.
Franklin Evans

FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Based on a copybook I use that is similar to yours, it should work.

You only need one 01 line. You only need one 05 Header section. You're import will show the redefines for the 05 body sections. The 05 trailer will show at the end.

When you load the table definition to CFF, and you define it as multiple record type, CFF will "help" you from there.

Again, this is learning by doing. Unless I see your requirements and coding, I can't go into more detail, and that's as it should be. Follow the FAQ as best as you can, and post if you hit an obstacle.
Franklin Evans

rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Thanks Frank. I will load this once my DS is installed and let you know.
Rumu
IT Consultant
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

The source binary file resides on AS400 server . In order to use CFF stage to read the file, first step is to bring the file on Datastage server in binary mode and then read it . Can I use FTP stage to connect to AS400 to land the file? In FTP stage, how to define the metadata? To read the data in one single column?
Rumu
IT Consultant
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

My implementation is z/OS mainframe, and we handle what you describe as you describe it.

Code: Select all

FTP Enterprise stage for input:
Format tab:
Record type = implicit
Delimiter = none
Character set = EBCDIC
Data format = binary
Allow all zeros = yes
Packed = yes -- Check = no

One column, SQL type Binary, Extended Length and Scale attributes blank, Nullable No

Sequential file stage for output: Format and Column identical to FTP stage.
This two-stage parallel job is multi-instance and used for over 200 datasets of every description.

The CFF stage sets your table definition from the copybook. The record read is controlled by the table definition total record length. If you original file has a delimiter, you just adjust everything to it.
Franklin Evans

rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Thanks Frank.
I just had a talk to mainframe guy and asked him to push the file to datastage server so that CFF stage can directly read from there. He said he will try as the file is huge in size. If that does not work then the only step is to use FTP stage to read as you have mentioned here.
In the second approach, the first job will create a sequential file with one column that holds the entire record and in next job CFF stage will read that file using cobol copybook. The binary file has no delimeter.
Rumu
IT Consultant
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Hi,

I received the cobol copy book created by cleint architect. I was asked to reveiw the copybook. There are 2 issues I found as below:

1) The source file has an optional header record which contains few dates and we need those dates in the output file if header is present.
The copyook does not include that header part ..So I am thinking to Cut the first record and dump to a sequntial file to get the dates informtion and after processing the actual data file, add those optional fields . Is that fine?

2) Each data record is prefixed with a 10 byte Record_ID. The coby book does not use that 10 bytes. I assume that copy book can not read correctly the data file as the first 10 byte is ommitted from the copybook. Is this assumption correct?
We have meeting with client architect in next Wednesday. Where I will raise the above qs.
Rumu
IT Consultant
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

First, you have my sympathy for a mainframe development process that doesn't comply with basic standard practice. For a multiple record file, there is no such thing as an "optional" header.

The important part is that you can edit the copybook before importing it to reflect the reality of the file you are trying to read.

My expectation is that you don't need to cut the header record when it exists. When you define each record type in CFF, identifying each one with a record type field, it doesn't matter if a particular record type doesn't exist in any given file. The output link for that record type will just be empty.

For the record id, if it doesn't start after the record type field, you have a different problem. Unless you have an explicit way to identify record type, you don't have a multiple record file, you have a file that has no consistent design.
Franklin Evans