Rule set with one rule?

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

truenorth
Participant

Rule set with one rule?

Post by truenorth »

In my new role, I am advising on best practices and discovered that the organization has a policy of developing only rule sets. Even a single rule is put in a rule set and they run the rule set. So they have many rule sets that only have one rule in each. I think this is an odd practice but I have yet to inquire what the thinking is behind it.

I am about to advise against it but I thought I'd pick your brain on the matter.
Todd Ramirez
Sr Consultant, Data Quality
San Antonio TX
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Agreed that it's an odd practice. But I can't think of any real reason not to, other than interpolating an unnecessary layer of software.

I would guess that their reasoning is consistency of output format, whether they have one, two, or many rules in Rule Sets.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
truenorth
Participant

Post by truenorth »

Argh...sorry I am not currently a paying member. But thanks, Ray.

We will be reviewing the rationale behind the practice and set an appropriate direction henceforth. I'll update this thread once we reach a decision.
Todd Ramirez
San Antonio TX
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You didn't miss much, so I've opened it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
truenorth
Participant

Post by truenorth »

Apparently, an ETL process moves DQ results from IADB to a dashboard. The ETL is a black box, barely documented, and we are told that it only looks at and expects rule sets. All developers just have to abide by the requirement to put all rules into rule sets.
Todd Ramirez
San Antonio TX