Can you interface Information Analyzer with Informatica?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rumu
Participant

Can you interface Information Analyzer with Informatica?

Post by rumu »

Hi All,

Our client wants to switch to Informatica but wanted to continue with Information Analyzer for data analysis. Is it possible to interface the IIS tool with another ETL tool like Informatica?
Rumu
IT Consultant
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes and no.

Information Analyzer's interface with DataStage is only to make the analysis results (including analysts' notes) visible to DataStage developers. So you couldn't really claim that Information Analyzer "interfaces" even with IBM's own ETL tool.

That said, the Information Governance Catalog can interface with Informatica. There are couple of ways you can do this, either by creating an extended data source "application" with associated extension mapping document(s), or by defining the Informatica instance more completely via Open IGC. You can read about both of these techniques here and elsewhere. Once you have done that, the Informatica ETL tool can be included as "just another information asset" (for example) in lineage reports.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Another thought might be to do something with Data Rules and command line or REST API....with the other ETL tool generating those commands after preparing data for analysis. ...or more simply, "invoking" a complete Discover process (analysis, data classification, automated term assignment, etc.) after preparing data.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

This should be okay. You can just remove all your DataStage projects other than the InformationAnalyzer one so you are not in breach of license and keep using IA. You can use IA thin client to let Informatica developers browse the results. You don't lose anything from the data analysis capabilities. You lose the ability to drop an IA rule into a DataStage job but I don't see that being used much out in the market anyway. I think IA is better at managing and running its own DQ rules and these rules and results get shown in IA thin client and rolled into the DQ scores for tables and columns.

I am not a fan of swapping ETL tools since there is not much difference between DataStage and Informatica and you can waste a lot of money converting code and delivering no new business value.