Database connector problem between DS8.7 and DS11.5

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lazyscar
Participant

Database connector problem between DS8.7 and DS11.5

Post by lazyscar »

System:Windows 7 professional 64bit
DataStage client version:install 8.7 client and 11.5 client at the same PC
when I create a parallel job at 8.7 designer client,put a database connector stage(no matter what database,oracle/db2/netezza...etc),open the stage,it only show [Advanced] button.
In general,it would have 3 buttons:[General][Properties][Advanced].
And then I put another stage,link them.In general after [Stage] button there should be a button [Output],and but I get [stage] button only.
Another PC with Windows 7 professional 32bit,only install 8.7 clinet,all is ok,so the server should have no problems.
anyone can help?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Okay... since you didn't mention it, I have to ask. Are they installed in two completely separate locations and are you using the Multi-Client Manager to switch between them?

Been a while but I'm assuming that's still a necessary thing.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
lazyscar
Participant

Post by lazyscar »

Yes, DS 8.7 and DS 11.5 clinet are installed in two different locations.
After the problem appear,we use Multi-Client Manager to change version 8.7 to 11.5,and then do it again,change version 11.5 to 8.7. After that we try to create a job at 8.7 again, there is still the same problem.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I saw strange behavior like that on Windows 7 Home Edition, which was not supported. Double check that it's Professional Edition and also revisit the documented Information Server client prerequisites to make sure you got them all. If not, then you might try uninstalling each client and doing some manual cleanup.

Then/also visit Microsoft Updates, apply all available updates and reboot, repeating this process until there are no more updates available. If you were missing prerequisite components but have them installed now, then reinstall each client and reboot, and repeat this in order from oldest to newest client.

Be careful especially when applying IBM fix packs or other patches to the client tier that you have first used the multi-client manager (MCM) to switch to the client version that you intend to patch. And always run the MCM of the newest client whenever you are switching.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
lazyscar
Participant

Post by lazyscar »

Check Operating System Requirements:"You can use any of these editions:Windows 7 Professional,Windows 7 Enterprise or Windows 7 Ultimate."so System:Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit should be ok.
Not only my PC,all the computers of my team have the same problem.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

We ran 8.7 and 11.3 clients from Windows 64-bit computers without this type of problem exactly. A problem we did run into sometimes was in attempting to patch the IBM clients while MCM had the other client version active.

The problem you described could range from needing Microsoft/Windows updates applied (and rebooted) repeatedly on the client tier... to anything. I have seen where installing other third party software will reliably corrupt DataStage Designer.

Normally I would suggest if you have researched the issue, applied updates, reinstalled, etc. and nothing worked, then contact Support. But since you're on 8.7 which has been unsupported for a while now, you may just need to run 8.7 clients from isolated machines and run the newer 11.x clients from separate machines. If you don't have separate physical machines, then look into allocating virtual desktops that you can remote into. They're very popular at some places.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius