What is ODF and where is it documented?

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

What is ODF and where is it documented?

Post by qt_ky »

We have installed 11.7 on AIX. One of our firsts test was to setup IA and IMAM and run data quality and column analysis from the thin client. At first it failed and gave a generic "Failed" error and hovering over that revealed some gibberish. We found in the SystemOut.log file complaints about ODF.

It turned out we had previously killed a stalled ODF process on the server which prevented the analysis from running. NOTE: This ODF process did not exist in version 11.3, 11.5, or prior versions, which was the second reason we had killed it. Once we started it up again, IA was happy.

This appears to be a new, dependent process in 11.7 but I haven't found any documentation about it yet. Is it documented anywhere? The only clue I got so far is from a file on the server under <server_path>...../ASBNode/bin/../conf/odf.properties

It starts of with some comments like this:

# Properties for the ODF engine tier daemon

# Point this to where zookeeper is installed.

One more thing to add is that this new process is not listed on the Operations Console's Engine Status section. If this process is as important as it appears to be then it probably needs to be more visible and be monitored.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Did you search the 11.7 Knowledge Center? There are a couple of indirect references in there. But the acronym itself is not explained.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
JRodriguez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JRodriguez »

IBM Information Server Open Discovery Framework (ODF)
In the latest versions of Information Server IBM added open source services, specifically the Apache Framework (Zookeeper, Kafka,solr) and there are several Technotes in how to configure these services.

In the last version 11.7.0.0 they added the ODFEngine service that help you to monitor running and see finished analyses, cancel running analyses, and perform health checks. Basically you could do several checks or tasks related to the new thin client
Julio Rodriguez
ETL Developer by choice

"Sure we have lots of reasons for being rude - But no excuses
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The 11.7 Knowledge Center had two matches, one of which referenced the IBM Information Server Enterprise Search, which we did not install. I had also searched the Support Portal and it only matched on some kind of mainframe printing program.

Thanks JRodrequez for sharing some insights on this. Perhaps IBM will expand the Knowledge Center in the future.

Since we found we could not run analysis without this new ODF service running, we have added its start and stop commands to our Information Server start/stop shell scripts. It kind of took us by surprise!
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I've just been handed the task of manually installing Enterprise Search, since the machine for it wasn't available when the rest of Information Server was installed.

There is, I'm pleased to say, rather more in the Knowledge Center than earlier posts in this thread would indicate.

The manual install, based on my research thus far, is not going to be pretty.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I suspect the engineers are so busy developing new code using open source that nobody has taken time to properly document it as of yet. Here is one technote that mentions "IBM Information Server Open Discovery Framework."

Troubleshooting / Monitoring Analyses for Unified Governance

If anyone finds an understanding document or an overview that explains its purpose, please share a link. Until then, I am marking this topic resolved, as we have at least learned what the acronym stands for.