Undraleu

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Undraleu

Post by PaulVL »

Is anyone using Undraleu out there?

It is a Code Quality checker for Informatica and DataStage.

We're doing a POC at my shop and I was wondering who else out there is using it and how's your experience with it.

Feel free to msg me off to the side.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hadn't heard of it yet but color me intrigued. Be curious how your POC goes.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

I would also like to see a short review when you are done.
I don't trust online reviews from searches, as so many are written by the vendors etc. Posts like this are much more trustworthy and so much more useful, if you have a chance.
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

We turned it on 2 days ago...

So it's a work in progress.

Already have a list of enhancement requests. Tool seems a little green but very promising. Doesn't offer as much command line or API interaction as I need so far, but that also is a work in progress.

It reaches into xmeta to scan your code for a rules based violation detection.

You can flag certain "rules" to be scanned. Spits out a webpage popup and optional PDF report.

Rules are canned but selectable. Not created by customer (since it's a complex query into xmeta to find the logic to trigger the rule violation per job).

day 2 = Promising outlook, but I can't currently merge it into my automated CI/CD framework.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Never heard of it...

Just curious, how can a code quality checking tool go beyond checking if naming conventions are followed to checking whether or not the code (or job design) met the requirements? Kind of seems like you need a human involved.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Pixie dust.
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Update:

We are going forward with licensing the tool.

We've reached out to others who use Undraleu against Informatica and they have nothing but good things to say about support and ease of use.

This tool is not a replacement for peer code review. What it does is remove the need to check the easy mundane stuff. One company said that it decreased their code rollout lifecycle by a week (down to hours) for the code review process.

We anticipate incorporating this tool early in the development lifecycle in order for the developer to bring his scan report with him to the code review board to validate that standards were met.

This is NOT a tool to ensure that the code provides the correct business rules (transformation logic) to satisfy the need for the change to begin with. This is about job standards.

Plus... there are not a lot out there to choose from for DataStage code validation.

This tool reaches into xmeta to scan the code.

The hard part is to navigate our own internal company red tape to get the thing licensed and paid for.

Setup time is measured in hours (if that).
Speed of scanning is good.
Report output is good (pdf), webpage interface. Would like to see xml file or Jason data, but that is still possible in time (product update).

We need a bit more command line interaction to trigger scans at a job level... that again will come in time.

The vendor is VERY receptive to product enhancements, so that is a huge plus.

So ya... we gave it a thumbs up for DataStage code (standards) validation.